NGD But not sure!?

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
I went in blind and got a Gretsch g6228 from peach guitar (mail order)

I'm a tele player and have always had relic or satin finishes or at least i gravitated to this and any Tele that is shiny and new doesn't feel right. In "my mind" i feel i'm playing an old guitar and i like that.

I took a hit on the Gretsch and love the sound. Its in-between a tele and 335. Sound acoustically like a 335 and its loud acoustically. So sonically a great guitar built well and has all the players editions which makes it super easy to play.

The only thing bugging me its "new" and a very "new" feeling guitar. It doesn't feel played in and the finish looks like it will never age or dull down... or does it?

I do have a 14 day return on the guitar. To all new Gretsch owners... or shiny guitar lovers.... Do you not worry the whole time about the guitar getting dinged, will the new feeling go away?

If i'm doubting it already, is this guitar for me? Its a lot of money to not feel happy but wanted to ask your opinions. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    edited May 2019
    After the honeymoon period you just play it and forget about it. You may even find you start forgetting about relic finishes, GAS is an interesting thing. 

Semi hollow jets are magical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    I suppose you don’t see many beaten up gretsch guitars! 

I need to man up and love the shine 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Coarse grit sandpaper will soon take the shine off it.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23146
    I know almost nothing about Gretsch guitars.  Do they use nitro finishes?  If they do, it'll age nicely.  The nickel hardware will tarnish.  But don't keep it just because you're waiting for it to get older!

I don't like new shiny guitars.  I can be very finicky and I get anxious about even the tiniest scratch or ding.  But the last few guitars I've bought have all been relics (or just secondhand), and I don't really worry at all about scratching or bumping those.  It's made me a bit more careless even with new guitars.
    Philly_Q said:
    I know almost nothing about Gretsch guitars.  Do they use nitro finishes?  If they do, it'll age nicely.  The nickel hardware will tarnish.  But don't keep it just because you're waiting for it to get older!

I don't like new shiny guitars.  I can be very finicky and I get anxious about even the tiniest scratch or ding.  But the last few guitars I've bought have all been relics (or just secondhand), and I don't really worry at all about scratching or bumping those.  It's made me a bit more careless even with new guitars.
    Most new Gretsch guitars are not nitro even vintage select which are supposed to be as close to originals as possible!

you have to go USA customshop which Cost 6/7k!

It would be cheaper to get a company to take the finish off and use nitro to refinish it?! What company’s out there would go this with Gibson/gretsch single cut guitars? 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    edited May 2019
    You need to get past that.  It’s a guitar, wood and wire, play it like you stole it. 

I have a few Gretsches, and usually have two out in stands about the house.  I loan them out to friends, including my custom shop model. They’re for playing, not looking at. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9616
    Dean, I can completely empathise with your feelings...

I too dont like ‘new’ shiny guitars... i had a beautiful amazing sounding Black Falcon, and I really loved it. But it was just too mint for me.

I like relics as I can dink them without worry.

My only exception has been my stunning Suhr Alt T Pro. Bought new, but I shall dink the life out of it probably as its not going anywhere !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3779

My only exception has been my stunning Suhr Alt T Pro. Bought new, but I shall dink the life out of it probably as its not going anywhere !
    Wisdom. My new Williams was custom made for me, so I need to let it get a knock or two and not be bothered.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    And should a £1900 be faultless? Tune o magic bridge... buzzing saddles... common? 
    edited May 2019
    Easy fix with tape wrapped around the screws from videos I have seen. Apart from that it’s 100% great 
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 261
    Thats how Gretsch feel.  Same like PRS.  They are what they are.  If its the sound you want and the visual you love just deal with it.  B)

I too dont like ‘new’ shiny guitars... i had a beautiful amazing sounding Black Falcon, and I really loved it. But it was just too mint for me.

Big question as a Suhr Alt T is roughly same value as the gretsch... would you get it refinished in Nitro? 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9616

Big question as a Suhr Alt T is roughly same value as the gretsch... would you get it refinished in Nitro? 
    No mate - use it as it is. Love mine, and itll age with time :)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540

No mate - use it as it is. Love mine, and itll age with time :)
    Suhr Alt T has a satin neck so you don’t get that gloopy feeling which helps