Changing the neck on a Kotzen?

What's Hot
Hey guys, 

So something I've never done is change the neck on a guitar, having been lucky enough to have never had an issue with one! 

I got a Kotzen tele in a trade recently, and its now on the classifieds, because my girly little hands can't get on with the fatter neck. 

Im debating whether or not I just swap the neck out to something thinner and learn to love it? As I don't seem to have a lot of interest.

So any recommendations on were to source a neck. Ideally Modern C shape with 12 inch radius. I also think it would look quite cool with a reverse tele headstock! Would I just have to buy a left handed one for this? Not bothered too much about the fretboard material but cost would be a factor, say no more than £150? 

Would a mex neck fit straight in the pocket I wonder? 

Sorry for the amateur hour but until you've done it it's kind of an enigma. 

TIA.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3007
    If you do swap necks keep the original for if you want to shift it on later, the neck is the major attractor for most people ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBob said:
    If you do swap necks keep the original for if you want to shift it on later, the neck is the major attractor for most people ! 
    Great point, last thing I'd want to do is devalue it! 
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    If it were me I'd just bite the bullet and sell the Kotzen and get a similar body setup with a thinner neck because, to me, the neck feel is far more important than the body.

You could sell the Kotzen and build a tele to your specs with change left over I'm sure.  Not sure if you would be the same but again if it were me, it would feel weird having a lesser spec neck fitted.  I think it'd always bug me knowing that it's not original.

Not much help with the neck pocket I know, sorry!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16166
    Learn to love it
    they are great guitars
    it will probably take you a month but you will come to love the neck when you acclimatise
    The big draw with these is the neck -if you can't get on with it after a month bite the bullet and sell the guitar
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1027
    Get a Squier John 5 neck. They are your spec and fairly easy to get. When I'd stripped off the black paint from my one it was a really lovely piece of wood underneath.
  • Dominic said:
    Learn to love it
    they are great guitars
    it will probably take you a month but you will come to love the neck when you acclimatise
    The big draw with these is the neck -if you can't get on with it after a month bite the bullet and sell the guitar
    Unfortunately for me my hands aren’t only small but my fretting hand has a few screws and plates from misadventures on a motorbike. 

Arktik83 said:
    If it were me I'd just bite the bullet and sell the Kotzen and get a similar body setup with a thinner neck because, to me, the neck feel is far more important than the body.

You could sell the Kotzen and build a tele to your specs with change left over I'm sure.  Not sure if you would be the same but again if it were me, it would feel weird having a lesser spec neck fitted.  I think it'd always bug me knowing that it's not original.

Not much help with the neck pocket I know, sorry!
    Very good point. I get irritated with enough with studio written on my LP and has to change the truss rod cover so I’d probably be no good with a cheap neck...

Thanks for the input gents. Looks like I’ll definitely be letting it go. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2534
    Sell it or trade it for a US deluxe model. Has the binding like the Kotzen and really looks the part but has slimmer neck.  See if anyone has one on here for trade plus a little cash your way ;)
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Just sell it. Then buy an American Deluxe Tele used and have it refretted to 6100. Add a Dimarzio to the bridge and it’s virtually the same guitar.