New HT5R Mk2 - I got a bit of GAS...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11866
Spinning off from the 1-5w amps thread.

I played with a cranked HT5R Mk1 when demoing my Jazzmaster recently (My now modified with a staytrem Squier VM, christened the "Jizzmaster"...) and I was quite impressed.

However the new Mk2 seems to be a bit of a work of genius, with a 0.5w mode that must give you lower volume cranked tones, four voices instead of two...

The only bad thing about it seems to be it is almost £200 more than the old stock of HT5 Mk1 everyone is selling off...

Thoughts and suggestions?  Anyone tried one?
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    It’s £200 better than the Mk1s on here!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    That was my thread! I tried one and bought one... it’s awesome. 
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2209
    Any thoughts on whether the HT20R is too loud for home use in 2watt mode? If it is, what the hell is the 2watt mode for? It would be great to have one amp that can do Fender, Marshall, VOX at gig and home volume. The reviews I’ve seen seem to suggest 2watts is pretty loud
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    You can play anything at home.
    I've used 100 and 50 watt amps for years. Just use the volume dial
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Played a 6 watt amp 2 different 15 watt amps and a 35 watt amp today all sounded good clean and with pedals and the two biggest amps had master volumes and could drive at polite volume. 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    edited May 2019
    Barnezy said:
    Any thoughts on whether the HT20R is too loud for home use in 2watt mode? If it is, what the hell is the 2watt mode for? It would be great to have one amp that can do Fender, Marshall, VOX at gig and home volume. The reviews I’ve seen seem to suggest 2watts is pretty loud

Now, this is NOT a defence of the HT-20R, I don't know the new model, I am just going to give you the numbers!

Two watts into any decent 100dB guitar speaker* will deliver 103dB SPL at one mtr. That is loud if you are stood at it! It is also too loud  in most home situations.  So, what's it for ?

In a pub gig situation say with a drummer, bass, vocalists through PA , 103dB would struggle to compete for people several mtrs away. The amp would also be at its limit and possibly producing an inappropriate level of dirt?  Twenty watts will deliver 113dB/mtr and should hold its own with a standard line up though 20W is still marginal IMHO if you want loudish cleans.

But, say you are like my lad? Often there is just him, another rhythm gitists and they both sing through a very modest PA in and outside French cafes and bars.  Two watts would do him nicely.

The fact is, to have an amp that won't wake the chavvy in the wee smalls requires an amp of only a few milliwatts and cutting down to those levels rarely sounds good.

* I DO hope they have fitted better than the Rocket 50!!

Dave.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Spinning off from the 1-5w amps thread.

I played with a cranked HT5R Mk1 when demoing my Jazzmaster recently (My now modified with a staytrem Squier VM, christened the "Jizzmaster"...) and I was quite impressed.

However the new Mk2 seems to be a bit of a work of genius, with a 0.5w mode that must give you lower volume cranked tones, four voices instead of two...

The only bad thing about it seems to be it is almost £200 more than the old stock of HT5 Mk1 everyone is selling off...

Thoughts and suggestions?  Anyone tried one?
    The 20w Marshall Origin has a 0.5w setting and if you buy it between 7 and 9 tomorrow you’ll most likely get for £299. Have you seen that thread on here?
    Previously known as stevebrum