My Flying GAS is still strong, are there any wallet friendly V's worth trying??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I'm still looking ta V's, but I'm not sure I can spare the budget for a gibbo.

Any other more wallet friendly V style guitars that are worth a look that will get me into the zone??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12414
    The Epiphones are decent. A mate has the gothic version which he’s got permanently tuned to drop D and it sounds absolutely huge. The Korina versions are supposed to be nice but I guess it depends on if you like gold hardware. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1958
    I really want a V, but I don't want a Gibson and there's nothing in my favourite price range. Shame.
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    I managed to pick up a brand new full fat 2018 Gibson V a few weeks ago for £799 from GuitarGuitar in Camden. Still not cheap, but far cheaper than what they go for at full price. 
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3868
    edited May 2019
    Those Bonamassa signature Epiphones looked/sounded decent from the various YouTube vids I saw of them. Might be better value than a Gibson if you can find one (and don't mind have JB's signature on it!).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    I managed to pick up a brand new full fat 2018 Gibson V a few weeks ago for £799 from GuitarGuitar in Camden. Still not cheap, but far cheaper than what they go for at full price. 
    Yeah, DV247 had those 2018s in cherry at 839 a week or so ago but look to have sold out now. 
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    The Reverend Tornados are supposed to be good (if you can find one)! 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2408
    How pointy do you like your Vs? LTD and mid-range Jacksons can be good bang for your buck, but are also much more overtly "metal". For more classic looks, there's not much beyond Gibson and Epiphone that springs to mind.
    Tim
  • I’ve got an Epi Amos V inbound, to do a full aged nitro refinish and parts/electrics upgrade as I’m too mean to shell out for an early ‘80s Heritage Korina.
    Sounds pretty good to me:

https://youtu.be/lP3Y4gVQiA0
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18960
    I'm still looking ta V's, but I'm not sure I can spare the budget for a gibbo.

Any other more wallet friendly V style guitars that are worth a look that will get me into the zone??
    If you can find one (discontinued) the Wilkinson Vintage V60 was a V, but different & very affordable.
    Like this  https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/vintage-jhs-trev-wilkinson-flying-v-electric-guitar-like-korina-flying-v-for-sale/1338611876
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I managed to pick up a Epiphone Gothic V which somebody had fitted an aluminium tread plate pick guard and USA made EMG passive pickups for £35.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7131
    Can we see piccies please? love a good "v"
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’ve got an Epi Amos V inbound, to do a full aged nitro refinish and parts/electrics upgrade as I’m too mean to shell out for an early ‘80s Heritage Korina.

It would be great if you do a thread showing what you do.    If I could get past the awful logo I wouldn’t mind one but a nitro version would be great.  
    I assume the JB version is solid wood then and not a veneer like the previous Epi Korina V?       
    tony99 said:
    Here you go. Not a very good pic, and probably the wrong way around for you...

http://i67.tinypic.com/24b3l92.jpg
    tony99 said:

very decent, but tell me, is that black or cherry?
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

‘tis cherry. 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Not sure what your budget is. But one word - Feline

The V I had from there was fabulous 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1357
    Old Japanese TokaI V is worth considering 
  • jumping@shadowsjumping@shadows Frets: 1277
    edited May 2019
    John_P said:
    I’ve got an Epi Amos V inbound, to do a full aged nitro refinish and parts/electrics upgrade as I’m too mean to shell out for an early ‘80s Heritage Korina.

It would be great if you do a thread showing what you do.    If I could get past the awful logo I wouldn’t mind one but a nitro version would be great.  
    I assume the JB version is solid wood then and not a veneer like the previous Epi Korina V?       
    There’s some conjecture around this, with some swearing blind on close inspection it’s a two piece, chevron grain matched solid Korina body/neck, others it’s the same but lower grade with an excellent veneer front/back, so we shall see..
    It’s as much for the fun/satisfaction of doing the makeover as having a high spec/low cost Korina V to gig with, so I’m not overly fussed on existing spec, and may even fit a BRW board! 

They do have big ‘58 necks, are most definitely genuine Korina and have the correct neck join and overall dims, so as a chassis holds a lot of potential imo.
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

‘tis cherry. 
    then God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good, and he was particularly proud of his cherry Gibbo V

Genesis 1:31
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

‘tis cherry. 
    then God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good, and he was particularly proud of his cherry Gibbo V

Genesis 1:31
    Amen brother. 

Jesus he knows me. Genesis 19:91