Telecaster Neck Pickup

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• normula1 said:
    This in spades
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9349
    thebreeze said:
    chris78 said:
    I’ve got Jamie winding me one at the moment. I’ve got another tele with a twisted tele so I’ll report back on how they compare when it lands
    Sorry if you thought you’d got away with this @chris78 ; =) but I’d be genuinely interested to know what you found.  I’m a fan of the twisted Tele too and considering changing a neck pickup.  I think I also like the ‘63 Tele pickups on CS guitars but I don’t know if they’re an identifiable thing or even available?
    Sorry, I’d forgotten about this.
    Jamie winds a great set. I’d say his twisted tele is slightly brighter than the cs version to my ears, but they’re obviously from the same family. 

I’ve got some cs ‘63s in my rosewood board cs 62 tele and they’re very nice, but only available afaik on a custom shop order. They capture the 60s tele sound brilliantly. They had been taken out of the guitar when I brought it second hand, but have gone back in and won’t be going back out again
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    ^ thanks @chris78.  Would a winder like Jamie know what a ‘63 is (if it’s a thing) and know how to replicate it?
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9349
    @thebreeze Jamie’s classic 64s will be what you’re looking for. I haven’t tried them though.
    I haven’t tried Klein’s versions, but every single Klein pickup I’ve used has been full on stunning so I’d look at these as well. I’d guess the klein’s will be closer to the originals if you’re chasing a vintage sound. Jamie’s look more overwound 
    https://www.kleinpickups.com/p-255-1961-epic-series-telecaster-pickup.aspx
    Thank you
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    susbemol said:
    The Fender Texas Specials would probably fit your description if set like mine (ie. as low as it will go).
    Yes, this. The Texas Special Tele neck pickup is one of the best on the market IMO. It doesn't even have to be set all that low,  it'll sound spanky and musical even quite close to the strings.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3058
    My Thinline has a Wilkinson neck pickup with the cover removed, its fabulous! Really! and about fifteen quid! More Stratty, the right size and cheap!....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Mickeyji said:
    susbemol said:
    The Fender Texas Specials would probably fit your description if set like mine (ie. as low as it will go).
    Yes, this. The Texas Special Tele neck pickup is one of the best on the market IMO. It doesn't even have to be set all that low,  it'll sound spanky and musical even quite close to the strings.
    Yes I'd agree with that.  Too bad the texas special bridge is terrible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16140
    This may not be exactly what you had in mind but I love a Charlie Christian style blade in the neck of a tele 
    Been watching Tim Lerch ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    I've got the Creamery Extra Width in the neck of one of my teles and I think it's outstanding. Not compared it to a CS twisted tele but can say it's exactly what I was hoping for. I was concerned that it would turn out to be just a hot tele neck pickup but it genuinely has a different, stratty sound.
  • Our very own @alegree does just the pickup you are describing -it’s called the cirrostratus and is a fantastic tele neck pickup. 
    I’ve got one in one of my Telecasters and it’s a very good pickup. I’ve also got a Twisted Tele pickup in another Tele which also sounds great.
    Our very own @alegree does just the pickup you are describing -it’s called the cirrostratus and is a fantastic tele neck pickup. 
    I’ve got one in one of my Telecasters and it’s a very good pickup. I’ve also got a Twisted Tele pickup in another Tele which also sounds great.
    I know it's really hard but are you able to describe what they're like and what distinguishes them between them?
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
    Harmonic Design do a '54 Strat neck pickup for the Tele called the Mini-Strat. 

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page....

https://www.harmonicdesign.net/allpages/teles.html
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    paulnb57 said:
    My Thinline has a Wilkinson neck pickup with the cover removed, its fabulous! Really! and about fifteen quid! More Stratty, the right size and cheap!....
    Was it a Jerry Donahue or a standard one where someone removed the cover ?
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    Be careful about removing the cover. I did this to my tele once. It really improved the tone. But unless the pickup was lowered way down, the top string had a habit of catching under the top edge of the pickup. The windings are very exposed - and I think they’re probably very easily damaged. So I popped the cover back on ASAP.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    johnhe said:
    Be careful about removing the cover. I did this to my tele once. It really improved the tone. But unless the pickup was lowered way down, the top string had a habit of catching under the top edge of the pickup. The windings are very exposed - and I think they’re probably very easily damaged. So I popped the cover back on ASAP.
    You can get plastic pickup covers.

https://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/plastic-pickup-covers/tele-style-pickup

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein