Latest Issue Of Guitarist Magazine

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14430
in Guitar tFB Trader
Good article for Rory fans in the latest issue of Guitarist + a info regarding a new album of un-released material/songs

Plus great article on @RiftAmps - His build your own amp course with Neville Marten
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    I stopped buying Guitarist because 1 it's too expensive and 2 the print is so small on glossy paper i can hardly read it.   Shame because i did use to enjoy reading it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    It was a good article I enjoyed it

I got very bored seeing there was yet another Les Paul supplement.  How often does this have to be recycled.

Not unusually every PRS guitar ever made continues to be loved despite costing 2.3k and coming in a plastic bag.  I know they target their demographic - ie me - bald 50s etc- but it could be made a little more contemporary surely

Even Nev Martins column has become tedious.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2799
    Another plug for Readly subscription.  Something like £7 a week for tons and tons of magazines, including 3 or 4 of the UK guitar mags, and a few US guitar mags too,  Plus several rock/prog and other music mags,  then loads of sport, and all sorts of other stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I bought it yesterday. Only read the Rory bits so though. Could be another year before I buy it again though. 
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    sev112 said:
    Another plug for Readly subscription.  Something like £7 a week for tons and tons of magazines, including 3 or 4 of the UK guitar mags, and a few US guitar mags too,  Plus several rock/prog and other music mags,  then loads of sport, and all sorts of other stuff
    Thanks for the tip! Just looked it up. £7.99 a month with a free 14 day trial.
    Guitar Player, Guitarist, Guitar World, Guitar Techniques, Total Guitar and Bass Guitar all on there.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14430
    tFB Trader
    It was a good article I enjoyed it

I got very bored seeing there was yet another Les Paul supplement.  How often does this have to be recycled.

agree about the LP pull out

I tend to gloss over much of the mag now - But a) I'm a RG fan and b) good to see @RiftAmps ; article
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    Back in my college days, a professional photographer and part-time course tutor was disparaging about one of the most popular photo hobbyist magazines of that era. 

He pointed out that their six monthly cycle consisted of a series of How To articles for beginners, interspersed with reviews of the latest products. The review conclusions ranged from glowing to “good considering the price point.”

The major portion of the magazine was advertising.

When I checked, the tutor was correct.

In the Interweb age, many of the advertisers have abandoned print. What does that leave for hobbyist magazines to publish? Answer - rehashes of their past.

It is difficult not to become cynical.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Lp content and another blues guitarist feature

Wow the winds of change
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    I subscribe. I probably won’t renew. I have always found their relentless concentration on a certain demographic — middle aged men who like both kinds of music: blues, and blues rock — tedious, but there are periodic other things I like, and the magazine itself is well produced.

Recently, though, it has been worse. Literally all guitars reviewed are over 3K. Same cycle of cover features (there are basically 5): tele feature, strat feature, LP feature, over-rated white dead or elderly blues-rock guitarist feature, blingy PRS dentists’ guitar feature. 

And I am a professionally employed late 40s guy, so I should be smack in their advertisers target demographic, but I feel I am not. I like nusic made in the past 30 years, and while I could afford 3k+ for a guitar, I think prices are increasingly stupid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23153
    Bebopper said:
    sev112 said:
    Thanks for the tip! Just looked it up. £7.99 a month with a free 14 day trial.
    Guitar Player, Guitarist, Guitar World, Guitar Techniques, Total Guitar and Bass Guitar all on there.
    I keep hearing about Readly in my quest for an electronic edition of Guitar Player. 

Their website's not very informative, does it let you keep a "library" of back issues (like Pocketmags) or do they just disappear after a while?

(I know I should be happy to just read then forget, but it's hard to get over my hoarder mentality)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    sev112 said:
    How do you find time to do anything else with all that lot to get through?
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    i like Guitarist so bollox
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16166
    Stick with Parade, Knave or Hot Asian Babes Monthly..........less blues guitarists there
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    Dominic said:
    Stick with Parade, Knave or Hot Asian Babes Monthly..........less blues guitarists there
    Bit heavy on the jazz though...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    edited May 2019
    Dominic said:
    I'm not sure i like the stripped back nature I quite like a bit of gloss
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Frets: 74
    I cancelled my subscription about a year or so ago, but still get to view it every month via the Readly app which I can't recommend highly enough. On average each month I'd buy Guitarist, Guitar Magazine, Q, Mojo, Uncut at least which would cost around £25-£30. The Readly cost of £7.99 a month gives me all that plus any other magazines  I want to dip into. Getting over the whole thing of not having a nice printed version hanging around was the same as adjusting from buying CDs to streaming via Spotify, so it's become the norm now.

One thing that annoys me about Guitarist is the relatively small pool of players they always seem to revisit far too frequently. They've had tons of Rory Gallagher features before, and the same goes for Joe Bonamassa amongst others. But i still like it and think it's a quality magazine. I really like the Session Diary column at the moment which I think gives a really good insight into a world that most of us will never get to experience.

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 649
    I read it in the public library. Very occasionally, it will feature a guitarist who came to prominence in the last thirty years, is still alive and plays something other than blues-rock. That Johnny Marr was on the cover a few months ago; he had an interesting collection. Otherwise, it is the same old gang, which includes many dead men who never made an impact on me (Randy Rhoads; who he?) and living white men who play the blues. Women are largely absent. The lessons are usually about pentatonic scales. Pedals are everywhere.

It is a very limited view of the possibilities of electric guitar, although it is well written and includes many good stories. Online magazines that present wider viewpoints can be found – Guitar Moderne and She Shreds are two – but most print magazines follow the same classic rock formula.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    My library promotes digital reads for free. I must check it out someday. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Matt_McG said:
    I subscribe. I probably won’t renew. I have always found their relentless concentration on a certain demographic — middle aged men who like both kinds of music: blues, and blues rock — tedious, but there are periodic other things I like, and the magazine itself is well produced.

thas cos Total Guitar covers the other electric demographic, then is a plethora of Acoustic Guitar mags covering the folkies - even if they are US pubs.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Here's the Rub: Seeking out the new edition of Guitarist and Guitar on the news stand/supermarket shelves is a buzz: The pics are alluring and fascinating: That first thumb-through when you get home with a cuppa, feet up on the sofa is a joy, and you try to save as much as poss for later...

As Opposed to: Having it electronic as a PDF - much less of a thrill: That first find that the new issue is posted and you waiting for the download is a mild joy. BUT thereafter is a chore as unless you have a massive screen-estate, reading a two-up facing real-life size format is impossible and on smaller devices the Ads are a damned impairment.

Pics and columns become disjointed and after about 10 mins scrolling, resizing and trying to get back to an article that has dived off past two full Ad pages is more than irksome. As such I have about 3 years of downloads mostly unread taking up valuable HDD space...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>