Leighton Guitars

What's Hot
BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
Anyone played one of these?

https://www.leightonsguitarshop.com/

I really like the look of them (the headstock is genius) and love the "reclaimed" element of the timbers but before i start planning a trip to Essex I thought i'd cast my line into the collective wisdom of the Fretboard. :)
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 54
    Not played any...but I do like that LGW 1 model

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    (the headstock is genius) 
    It's very much like Probett's headstock:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Philly_Q said:
    (the headstock is genius) 
    It's very much like Probett's headstock:

Very much. But I guess its okay to rip off a design that's already ripping of 2 designs!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh yes indeed.  I'm not even suggesting they're ripping it off, just noting that they're very similar ideas.

Another thing from the Leighton website.  Again, I don't mean to slag them off but what's going on with this backplate?

• BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Philly_Q said:
    Oh yes indeed.  I'm not even suggesting they're ripping it off, just noting that they're very similar ideas.

Another thing from the Leighton website.  Again, I don't mean to slag them off but what's going on with this backplate?

Ventilation?!?

To be honest I didn't even look at the Strat, it's the offsets that lured me in!
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Philly_Q said:

It's just levitating, what's the problem?

Helpful if you want just slightly less of the improvement in tone you get from taking the plate all the way off.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Philly_Q said:

From reading the rest of the script on the guitar they’re saying the body is 5mm thinner than a normal Strat so I’m guessing they’ve stuck a full depth Strat trem block in there and it’s coming out of the back so the have stood the plate off the body to cover that ?
    DrBob said:
    From reading the rest of the script on the guitar they’re saying the body is 5mm thinner than a normal Strat so I’m guessing they’ve stuck a full depth Strat trem block in there and it’s coming out of the back so the have stood the plate off the body to cover that ?
    I think that's probably right.  Most people would probably have bought a shorter trem block, or cut down an existing one... but this was apparently their thinking-outside-the-box solution.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Philly_Q said:

It acts as a plate reverb effect.
    Apparently.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Sassafras said:
    Philly_Q said:

Apparently.
    Well, outside the body !

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18800
    DrBob said:
    Sassafras said:
    Philly_Q said:

Apparently.
    Well, outside the body !

I reckon it is an antenna to maximise a disbelief field, generated to negate the WTF! comments that the guitar will attract.