Strat replacement tuners question

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15964
edited May 2019 in Guitar
My 2018 Player strat has the regular Fender tuners (see 1st pic) do the vintage Gotoh tuners (2nd pic) fit in there straight enough without much messin' about?

Oh, another question,or two....I've seen the split post shaft that accepts the string from above on Teles before but not on Strats, is this shaft post a feature on Strats too then folks, and any reason NOT to get this feature for a Strat?

and staggered tuners.....is that worthwhile or should i stick with regular?

I am very happy i guess with the tuners on me guitar it's just that i am a sucker for the look of these vintage small button Gotohs

the end

Image result for gotoh vintage tuners strat

Image result for gotoh vintage tuners strat

Image result for vintage gotoh tuners on a strat

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    The slot tuners on my 69 Strat are brilliant. I wish my other Fenders had them. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72397
    No.

Not compatible in any way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    I think the vintage tuners have a smaller post diameter than your current ones (which I think are 10mm?). You can buy adaptor bushes to sort that out though so you can still fit them. The split post type were fitted to Strats too and is a genius idea, I love’em. 

If you use staggered tuners the idea is you don’t need string trees. If your guitar already has trees then you’ll need to take them off, so you’ll end up with a hole in the headstock. Depends if that bothers you or not. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15964
    Not doable john,really?
    tae be or not tae be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72397
    hootsmon said:
    Not doable john,really?
    Not in any sensible way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

boogieman said:
    I think the vintage tuners have a smaller post diameter than your current ones (which I think are 10mm?). You can buy adaptor bushes to sort that out though so you can still fit them. The split post type were fitted to Strats too and is a genius idea, I love’em. 

If you use staggered tuners the idea is you don’t need string trees. If your guitar already has trees then you’ll need to take them off, so you’ll end up with a hole in the headstock. Depends if that bothers you or not. 
    the split post i like, the staggered tuners i don't like but the John fella ^ says they are not really compatible as a replacement.....
    tae be or not tae be
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Gotohs need 23.8mm between post centres to fit. As long as yours have at least that (and not considerably more as they need a relatively precise gap for the screw heads to span adjacent tuners) they will fit. They will probably require 10mm conversion bushes.
    Th Gotoh footprint should cover the locating pin holes of the old tuners.
    Thanks guys, i have since "discovered" Fender classic tuners that look like drop ins.....
    tae be or not tae be