Replacement pick ups

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
edited May 2019 in Guitar
Has anybuddy bought some aftermarket replace tuners for their guitar only to be disappointed with the results?

Is there always an OMG reaction when you compare the two sets of p/ups?

See, i was thinkin' of some Strat p/ups for my 2018 Strat but if the difference is small or negligible why bother,right?

I am only bangin' about at home these days so these p/ups may very well be good/great p/ups in a live situation...it's just....it's just that i have the tinkerin' bug is all 

Thanks guys 
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 573V3573V3 Frets: 1
    Depends how much money you spend lol, If you bought another set of Fender pickups you probably wouldn't be wowing very much, but if you buy a set of Bare Knuckle, Dimarzio or a nice set of Seymour Duncan's you'd notice the difference. If you can get a hold of a set of Fender Mischief Maker custom shop pickups they are the business. You'll be spending between £150-£300 though for nice pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14445
    Several UK makers also in the frame. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    The brand has nothing to do with the difference, the model specs do.

A Bareknuckle with 5.5k resistance is going to be noticeably different from one of their 20k ones to someone who's never even touched a guitar before after 1 chord.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    edited May 2019
    What is a good compromise in resistance spec for the best of cleans and OD suitability....sort of a thing?

Bridge p/up spec would be fine
    tae be or not tae be
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    hootsmon said:
    What is a good compromise in resistance spec for the best of cleans and OD suitability....sort of a thing?
    6.5-7.5k of 42 will be pretty close to vintage-like clean with enough poke to push most amps into a modest distortion.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    ^ Thanks Ale   :)

I see the Mojo single coil p/ups are wax coated what about the Oil city ones? I don't see it mentioned on his site
    tae be or not tae be
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I think if you playing at home and you are content with the sound they probably not worth the expense to change. If you play louder in rehershal room, as my hobby band does,or ya out there playing live then tottaly worth it and you'll hear the difference. Its these environments where you hear the difference and cheaper pups fail to keep up with the rest of the band. But if you like tinkering then swap them. Great fun modding. I've upgraded a couple old squires pickups and pots etc.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited May 2019
    Most of my pickup replacements have been noticeably better. Totally worth it