What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    CloudNine said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Arjailer said:
    sweepy said:
    Probably a motoring analogy is better suited, Audi, beautifully engineered and reliable but dull compared to an Alfa Romeo with all it’s foibles and idiosyncrasies 
    Audi's might be a bit boring, but surely that's because of the rather dull design, not because they're well put together?

I completely get it if you just want an Alfa (or a Gibson) because you like the look of it (all of my guitars were picked for their playability and their looks) but surely you wouldn't choose the Alfa because of those quirky squint doors, and that characterful failing front suspension?

You might choose the Alfa (or Gibson) despite those things, but surely not because of them?
    Yeah this argument is deeply flawed. My R8 is as perfect in build and finish as they get but I don’t find it sterile as a result!
    I love Gibson guitars and own a few, but let's not pretend that your R8, or any other R8 that has ever been produced, is at the same build and finishing quality level as something's like a Collings (also owned a few of those), or any of those other guitars that get accused of being sterile. It definitely isn't. Hold them side by side and the difference will be very apparent. That does not mean the R8 is not a better guitar, and almost every time I would prefer the Gibson option. Just depends what is important to you. But no Gibson guitar I have ever seen, has been at that level of perfection of those brands where accusations of being sterile get thrown about.
    Slightly pompous given you’ve never been anywhere near my R8. Gibson guitars are made in a certain way and (short of them returning to the drawing board and starting from scratch with guitar production), the build quality is as perfect as I’ve seen. That’s coming from someone with a tendency to nitpick the details too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31682
    Both of my current Gibsons were perfect right off the production line, then I came along. 

It's why I can't get very animated by lack of headstock top edge buffing, hints of polishing compound residue or minor filing marks on the fretboard - my main Gibson is beaten to hell night after night, covered in sweat and beer and used to beat punters off the stage with and they both sound awesome!

I know there was a tongue in cheek post about it earlier, but it IS rock n roll, and it ain't a fucking "Collings".  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 303
    p90fool said:
    Both of my current Gibsons were perfect right off the production line, then I came along. 

It's why I can't get very animated by lack of headstock top edge buffing, hints of polishing compound residue or minor filing marks on the fretboard - my main Gibson is beaten to hell night after night, covered in sweat and beer and used to beat punters off the stage with and they both sound awesome!

I know there was a tongue in cheek post about it earlier, but it IS rock n roll, and it ain't a fucking "Collings".  
    Excuse me, but that’s not a proper way to treat a guitar. 

Guitars should be discussed, not played or (for God’s sake) gigged. Who cares about the sound when you can discuss more important things such as wood grain, finish and pick ups.

And imagine that a guy buys a new guitar. How he would know the quality of the instrument if there are no threads like this one. 

So please post the specs of your guitars, you... gigger. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7136
    p90fool said:

I can assure you that no cheeks were tongued in the composing of said post.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19038
    1979 Gibson 'The Paul'. I have had this for over 10 years, was like this when I imported it from USA & is totally stable. Had it checked in a panic when I got it as I thought it had been bodged by a previous owner.
    Turns out it was original & possibly a Friday afternoon/Monday morning factory quality finishing hiccup.

Puts fretboard tool marks & buffing issues into perspective somewhat  :)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7082
    tFB Trader
    Surely that's been apart and badly reassembled?
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    tony99 said:
    p90fool said:

I can assure you that no cheeks were tongued in the composing of said post.
    Really.

Because that’s quite embarrassing.
    That was what I originally thought, but apparently not. The centre piece is 'shallow' on both sides of the body, so there wouldn't be any way to match it both to front & back without refinishing the whole thing.
    Also, it has a similar 'issue' running the entire length of the neck, again along the wood joint.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    By the way, I still love it as it is  ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72680
    That was what I originally thought, but apparently not. The centre piece is 'shallow' on both sides of the body, so there wouldn't be any way to match it both to front & back without refinishing the whole thing.
    Also, it has a similar 'issue' running the entire length of the neck, again along the wood joint.
    That's seam separation due to shrinkage, and is common on these. If it hasn't been glued already it will eventually come apart completely and need doing, same with the neck. It's actually very difficult to fix them properly without taking them right apart, since the cracks taper to nothing at the inner end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yes, that was the conclusion John (luthier) & I arrived at.
    That was at least 10 years ago & it's exactly the same, so it'll probably see me out  :)
    Besides, it has 'character' & has had a bit of a life with scars to prove it (much like myself!).