Best sub £ 500 p90 guitar

What's Hot
ZonularZonular Frets: 62
Alright guys I've got a hankering. What can you guys recommend. Think more Ron Ashton and Billy gibbons rather than jazzy tones
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    A few of the Revstars have double P90 options, and sound pretty damn good from what I've heard.
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    Any PRS SE Soapbar is worth checking out - Especially used  At £500 you'll get change as well - I had a used SE Soapbar p/up for years - Nothing wrong with them at such prices - Eminently playable and if funds allow you can always update p/ups

I prefer the singlecut versions, purely on looks - you can find single P90 or twin 90 versions
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    Used Hagstrom Super Swede. 3 P90’s, lovely neck, and a Bigsby.  What more could any man need. 
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    Used market in Dublin isn't the greatest but that looks savage! Also that purple Pacifica ... Holy moly
    Any experience with the vintage brand 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I bought a used Gibson les Paul tribute with P90’s last year for £470, it’s a superb guitar. I bought it from a seller on Reverb, there’s usually a few for sale on eBay.
  • The Yamaha Revstar with the P90s would be a good shout. Should be well under £500 used, though not sure on the new price if you're wanting something new and shiny.
  • Zonular said:
    Any experience with the vintage brand 
    Vintage make nice guitars, I found the necks rather skinny. I’ve had their Lemon Drop, SG Jr, LP Jr models & been impressed. 

A Gibson LP Jr is doable for £500 & is the best P90 guitar to my mind. 

You could also put a P90 into another guitar- all the boutique pickup winders on here make HB sized P90s. It’s worth considering if the used market is limited. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2914
    edited May 2019
    Vintage are nice guitars if you get on with the neck profile. I wish it was a little fatter and rounder but I think I could get used to it. They now do a tobacco sunburst LP Special with 2 P90s that looks very nice.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    I had a go on a Fender Mustang with P90's the other week and thought it was excellent value for money.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    A used SG Classic. Lovely.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19021
    Zonular said:
    Alright guys I've got a hankering. What can you guys recommend. Think more Ron Ashton and Billy gibbons rather than jazzy tones
    Any guitar that you like the look/feel of should do the trick. P90's are an affordable upgrade even if they aren't there originally.
    Trying to narrow the field by asking people on here, is like asking every individual in a pub 'who is your favourite band'.
    It isn't likely to produce a meaningful result.  ;)
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    Iamnobody said:
    A used SG Classic. Lovely.
    Seconded - with patience waiting for one to come up, SG Classics are AMAZING (I've had three, all doozies).
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4675
    Esp ec256p or Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster and plenty change left over 
    More the reason for asking is Dublin isn't great for different brands imho so if I'm looking at taking a punt online no harm asking around
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 851
    I keep thinking about a Gibson Melody Maker with P90 and they seem to go for well under £500... Are they any good?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    Another vote for the old PRS SE Soapbar and Soapbar II. The latter is double cutaway. 

A pre-owned Epiphone Blueshawk might be worth a look. The price needs to be right and the guitar needs to play nicely.

The old Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom II is enormous fun and should be available well under your budget.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3276
    edited May 2019
    Les Paul special or Sg special (both s/h). You might have to top up a little from 500  (although I recently sold a p90 equipped special for £410) but either of these will get you where you want to be.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19021
    edited May 2019
    Zonular said:
    More the reason for asking is Dublin isn't great for different brands imho so if I'm looking at taking a punt online no harm asking around
    Fair enough. In that case, listen to all the answers. 
    If you run out of choices, you might do worse than try a Revelation RLJ (junior style), RJT ( offset) or RLP3 (3 Pickup LP)
    You'll not pay a lot (even new, including shipping), which balances the sad truth that they won't hold any real value to speak of 
    But... they are good sounding, nicely put together guitars that might just speak to you.
    Plus, it'll save you a few euro's for when you make your next purchase 
    Good luck searching.
    Edit: http://www.macaris.co.uk/guitars/electric-guitars/revelation