Do I need wax potting if I only play at home?

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
Apart from a little bit of 60 hz hum I don’t seem to get any other interference. So far I have only played teles. But, I’m putting together a strat and may put a Humbucker in one of the teles.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    Only if you play loud enough to make your pickups feedback and squeak.  Not the same as string based feedback. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    Double wax potting of covered pickups is intended to minimise microphonic squeal.

At modest domestic sound pressure levels, it would take fairly extreme overdrive or distortion to induce any squeal.

There is an argument for learning to control squeal and howl. Embrace them and integrate them into your playing style. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Cheers, that’s a no then.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited May 2019
    But why would you want unpotted pickups?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72397
    John_A said:
    Because they sound more lively, due to the microphonics picking up the body resonance.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    John_A said:
    I suppose because most of the time when buying there’s an option. Also I play mostly clean and always looking for the cleanest most airy sound. 

I recently installed some expensive Tele pickups and judging by their description, magnet type and wind should have been bright and airy. They were the worst pickups I’ve ever tried. Just plain dull. Can’t help thinking it was down to the potting. Put the originals back in and it sounded ok again.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    ICBM said:
    John_A said:
    Because they sound more lively, due to the microphonics picking up the body resonance.
    And yet according to other recent threads most of us would mistake them for single coils.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72397
    TINMAN82 said:

And yet according to other recent threads most of us would mistake them for single coils.
    Yes :). But not when you're actually playing the guitar.

Actually not when you're listening to it in a room either - the guitarist in my band had the P90s in his Les Paul Special potted because they were unusably squealy at high volume... it stopped the squealing, but didn't sound as good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein