Guitar Battle: Joe Bonamassa VS Gary Moore

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2610
in Guitar tFB Trader

Or could just be titled 55mins of soloing  :)

Gary Moore will always win in my book.. Much better phrasing if you ask me.. Not that im a Joe hater. I just find his playing, I don't even know how to put it.. Less interesting?, just heard it all before (and usually better) ? He is a great player though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30297
    Moore's playing seems more tasteful.
    Bonamassa is more of a showman with all his posing and flashiness.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10556
    tFB Trader
    Moore every time: the phrasing is impeccable ... the fire when he cuts loose is remarkable. Joe's playing is stunning, but to me rather soulless. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited May 2019
    I like them both but find that JB is more of the Zakk Wylde of the blues. Whereby his fast passages tend to be much the same flurry of fast pentatonic shape runs albeit very Eric Johnson style 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    Bonamassa is a blatant plagiarist  where Moore has more originality in his playing, well apart from loving Jeff Beck a bit ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3504
    edited May 2019
    Both amazing players but I cant do with the screaming blues guitar solos, its dated and getting thin nowadays.
    For instance , ''while my guitar gently wee FUCK RIGHT OFF'' kind of thing.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Music is art, not sport.

Just listen to what you prefer, it's not a competition :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    I battered 'Still got the blues' as a youth and love that album dearly. It introduced me to albert king. 

However, in that 'blues for greeny' era where he slowed down a bit, he also played some really tasteful restrained stuff.

Monster player!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    Joe does have a slight advantage these days.
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1794
    Gary by Spades for me 
    As much a JB admired GM did they ever jam together on stage never seen a video although never looked particularly
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    Apart from the guitar playing, the other big advantage Gary Moore had was his voice.  He might not be Paul Rodgers but he could sing.  JB's voice just puts me off the music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    edited May 2019
    crunchman said:
    Apart from the guitar playing, the other big advantage Gary Moore had was his voice.  He might not be Paul Rodgers
    Ted Rodgers, more like....  way too pub singer-y for my taste. “since you layeft me beeebaahh” etc At least JB’s broad American accent is somewhat authentic, although equally challenging on the ears.

I’ve really come to appreciate his guitar playing over the years though. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Both great guitar players ,both poor singers, both a bit boring for me personally but who cares?
     The only thing I would say is that Moore was perfect for his time and that as a generation younger JB should have had a more forward looking approach /style in the kind music he plays and the way he addresses it .
     In any event you can't compare Bjorn Borg to Roger Federer but things do move on.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 864
    There is a great story that JB told in a video about when they met along the lines of:

JB 'I probably owe you some royalties on some of these guitar licks'
    GM: 'that's ok - I downloaded all your CDs illegally!'

Made me laugh...........
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    edited May 2019
    Saw Gary Moore on the Back To The Blues tour. Worst gig I've ever been to. Over the top wank. Saw Bonamassa 3 times before he achieved his current level of success, including at The Cheese & Grain in Frome. I enjoyed it each time.
    Wouldn't pay the  necessary price to see either of them these days. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    SidNewton said:
    Saw Gary Moore on the Back To The Blues tour. Worst gig I've ever been to. Over the top wank. Saw Bonamassa 3 times before he achieved his current level of success, including at The Cheese & Grain in Frome. I enjoyed it each time.
    Wouldn't pay the  necessary price to see either of them these days. 
    I think you need more than money to see Gary now days
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    I saw Gary Moore a couple of times in the 80s, with Greg Lake and when he toured with Ian Paice.

Great guitarist, but his singing makes me cringe.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    GM for me. Bonamassa’s playing doesn’t excite me. Plus he has that woolly, muffled tone no matter what guitar he’s playing.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    They both overplay/played but I prefer Gary.  I prefer his phrasing and he had more variety to him, every JB solo has those Eric Johnson fast pentatonic runs, several times. Gets tedious. When Gary slowed things down with his later blues playing he was superb.  I was at his blues for Greeny gig and it was a great night.  Joe is more listenable when he's playing more to the song.  The first album with Beth Hart has some wonderful playing from him.  His usual live style is to overplay, which he knows he does but says that's what his fans want.  I'm not so sure.  Saw him in Shepherds Bush a few years back and it got a bit boring a few songs in. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    octatonic said:
    Joe does have a slight advantage these days.
    Why because gary is dead 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom