Les Paul Junior Bridge

Hi guys,

I’m sure this gets asked all the time but I can’t find a definitive answer. I have a les Paul junior style guitar with an angled bridge. Intonation is a big issue with it so I’m looking to replace the bridge. I’ve seen lots online but none seem to clarify which is for straight bridges and which are for angled other than the mojo axe which is out of my price range. Will any compensated bridge work for angled posts? If anyone can point me towards any UK stockists of what I need it would be so appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    In my experience this one has enough adjustment range to work on both straight and angled studs. I replaced the rather ugly Allen head screws with grub screws of the right length that the ends of the screws are roughly flush with the back of the bridge, like the originals.

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Combined-BridgeTail-piece-p/bm116.htm

(I'm assuming you do need one for a plain G string.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FridgeCupFridgeCup Frets: 1
    Thanks for the reply! 

I was under the impression there would be definitive differences between a bridge designed for straight posts and a bridge designed for angled ones. For example the angle/amount of compensation? Surely one can’t do both?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    edited May 2019
    FridgeCup said:

I was under the impression there would be definitive differences between a bridge designed for straight posts and a bridge designed for angled ones. For example the angle/amount of compensation? Surely one can’t do both?
    It seems to be close enough to work. The overall angle is taken care of with the set screws, and the relative compensation is the same.

You will end up with it not parallel to the stud centreline though. On angled studs you'll find the bass side is set a lot shorter than the treble side.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14456
    Wrapover bridge/tailpieces with the "lightning bolt" compensation ridge are for stud inserts set equidistant from the top nut.

When the studs are set into the body with the low E string side further from the nut than the high E side, little or no correction along the top surface of the bridge should be necessary. e.g. Gordon-Smith GS-1.

If you require full adjustability, combined bridge/tailpiece designs exist but, arguably, their complex construction has some effect on tone.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Have you set the intonation on the high and low E's? I've a plain angled wraparound on one of my Juniors and intonation isn't too bad.