Wireless

What's Hot
sw67sw67 Frets: 236
As my line 6 G10 has a base station power issue keeping up the 100% failure rate of my line 6 products I am on the look out for a replacement. I do the sound for my band so like going out front to listen at sound checks. I was looking at the smooth hound system. Any long term users still happy a few years down the line.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    100% happy. The only thing I'd change would be the rubbish pad for securing it to the guitar. However, a spot of velcro will do the job, or some users have a pouch on the guitar strap.

Designed in Britain and faultless. What more could you ask?
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 236
    Good news - thanks. I will get it ordered for my next gig. I already have a short cable and adaptor so I can mount it on the strap.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2448
    I've used various wireless systems from Line 6 (G10, G50, G70) but now use a Shure GLXD unit which is amazing; rechargeable battery, superb distance, and rock solid.
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    edited May 2019
    Had mine for just over 10 months - very happy with it so far.

Transmitter fits perfectly in one of these on my belt, with one of the belt pack adapters they sell poking through the hole in the bottom to plug my cable into: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0016KJKIG
    I have just received the smooth hound wireless in time for gigs this fri / sat. Works well and seems well made. Hopefully it will last longer than the G10 that was only used at gigs so only around 200hrs. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    Smooth hound brilliant. 

Won't transmit aswell through walls (ie walking around house/ into different studio room) but that's no issue on stage .

Little sticky pad bot great. But I just use leccy tape to attach to guitar. 

Crazy long battery life too. 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I had a G10 and had a failure where the power connects but my local GuitarGuitar replaced it no problems (known issue) not had issues with the new one but the latest version of the G10 looks a lot better and has a 9v power instead of the terrible USB one.
    Depends how much you gig and what sort of range etc you need (the G10 is not great but I do the same as you for listening to the sound out front). Smoothound has a lot of positive feedback on here tho - may try one next :)
    edited May 2019
    Vaiai said:
    I had a G10 and had a failure where the power connects but my local GuitarGuitar replaced it no problems (known issue) not had issues with the new one but the latest version of the G10 looks a lot better and has a 9v power instead of the terrible USB one.
    Depends how much you gig and what sort of range etc you need (the G10 is not great but I do the same as you for listening to the sound out front). Smoothound has a lot of positive feedback on here tho - may try one next
    Same failure here - was 3 years old so gave my mate who uses one the transmitter as a spare and binned the rest. I was going to open it up and convert it to 9v but decided to upgrade 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    I've got the Smooth Hound too.

Very happy with it, although be aware that the little screws can come undone if you jump about a lot like I do!
  • vonLayzonfonvonLayzonfon Frets: 108
    Been very happy with my Smooth Hound although, as noted by others, I found the sticky pad inadequate and have nearly lost it on a couple of occasions while bouncing around the stage. An 18" M-F jack lead and putting it in my pocket sorted that out.

I tend not to use it now because the proliferation of wireless devices among band members, ironically, created so much extra need for wires (mainly power) that it was doing my nut in (being the one that does the majority of the set-up).  :s  But that's not the Smooth Hound's fault.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2378
    I've got a smooth hound, which replaced an XVive U2 that had developed a faulty on/off switch.
    The only thing that I think needs improving on the smooth hound is the battery cover, which is a bit flimsy and flexible. When I remove the unit from the guitar, it usually leaves the cover still attached to the guitar, as that is what the sticky pad is attached to.
    Otherwise a good piece of kit.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2378
    The sticky pad is fine, if you give it a wash occasionally. I think it is a load of micro suckers (or something like that).
    If you have one that won't stick any longer, get the fairy liquid in it!
    Thanks guys - I have a practice tonight to test - the sticky pad seems to work for now and as I don't jump about I will see how it goes. I have the adapter and a cable in my gig bag if I need to mount it on my strap 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited May 2019
    I've been happy with my Smooth Hound, which I've had for several years. I got Heistercamp to make me one of their excellent Guitar Straps with a custom pouch on it for the Smooth Hound. Then got @designacable to make me a short Cable with a Female Connector to connect the Smooth Hound, which is a bit neater than using a solid double ended Female Connector.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    I've got smooth hound. Three transmitters and one receiver. I just plug the transmitters into the guitars, tele, strat, and 335. I don't fuss with the sticky stuff, they are all fine just plugged in without being held. Have remained tight and faultless. Over a years gigging. I guess I don't leap about so much but I swap guitars on stage many times a gig so they get turned off or on many times.
    Batteries seem good and the indicator is right. I buy a dozen AAAs from the pound shop and keep spares on top of the amp just in case,  it takes seconds to swap but the new batteries render the transmitters ON! So beware. Highly recommended.
  • Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've got a smooth hound and while I agree it sounds excellent, I find it makes the guitar volume pots (CTS) noisy which I suspect is due to a small DC voltage being present on the input of the transmitter. I've tried a pot with a conductive plastic track and that is quieter but I refuse to change out all of the pots on my gigging guitars. If a buffer is placed between transmitter and guitar that sorts it out too.

Anybody else have this issue? 
  • onyironyir Frets: 46
    I have the smoothhound unit as well and find it a bit noisy, to be honest. The other issue with it is that it doesn't seem to like my telecaster volume pot. When turning down the volume it will make a kind of loud static noise at the end of the travel. I think it might be due to the guitar having a treble bleed on the volume pot.
    I've since replaced it with a boss WL-20 and it's much quieter, although I think the range was better with the smoothhound.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31855
    I'll probably replace my G10 with the new version eventually, just to get rid of its individual power supply. 

Mine has done a few hundred gigs with no issues, but the crappy USB socket does look flimsy, so stopping drummers crunching across everything on the stage on the way to their kit is even more of a priority than usual. 

I've looked at the Smoothhound too, but the two posts above are not the first reports I've heard about DC noise, plus I really can't be arsed with batteries. 

I plug my G10 into its charging dock fifteen minutes before showtime and that gets it through three-hour gigs effortlessly. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1116
    Had my G50 since 2013 - not really had many issues with it, only if another person is using a Line 6 receiver unit sometimes they pick up each other's signals on the receiver. I secure my transmitter with a bit of gaffer tape, 2 times round and its never come off.

Have heard good things about Smoothound though.
    edited May 2019
    Mine seemed ok last night - No noise from volume on Dax telecaster or Gibson  - its the first time in a year or so that I have used my amp and pedals rather than the helix but I thought it sounded brighter than normal but the manual said to expect that. I have set it up now for 10ft cable so will see how it goes.