Installing new pots on Les Paul..

Is there an easy way of levelling up pots (long shaft CTS) on a Les Paul?

I have a Les Paul Deluxe (see NGD post) that has had new pots but the shafts are jutting out of the body in all shapes (pots high off the body).

Is it a case of just fitting, refitting, measuring, swearing, rinse, repeat until its right or is there a "trade secret"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    Measure how much each shaft is protruding, take the pots out, wind the inside nuts up the necessary amount on each one then refit.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Use a nut on the inside to adjust the height.

I do it by setting the outside nut exactly at the top of the thread first, then turn the one on the inside until it just comes tight (you might need the tip of a screwdriver to do that if you can't get your fingers under), then when you tighten down the outer nut the shakeproof washer will bite into the wood and you should get 1-2 threads visible above the nut, which is perfect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    Is the OP guitar of the right age to have had its original pots mounted through a metal plate? That would take care of the differing protrusion.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Is the OP guitar of the right age to have had its original pots mounted through a metal plate? That would take care of the differing protrusion.
    It has the plate yes, care to explain how this would take care of the differing protrusions?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    That makes it slightly more tricky if you want to do it the same way, but the principle is the same - you need to use the extra nuts on the inside to adjust the length of thread remaining, like this...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein