Gisbon?
    Fukny. :)
    ftfy. Lovely guitar btw.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13979
    Those SG Jrs do look the biz, it's on my GAS list

• Congrats.
    I played one a few days ago and was really impressed. Seems like good value for money too.
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    cheers chaps, having played it for a couple of hours now I'm still really happy with it. @pearlwhite67 yep the neck is slim taper but compared to my 2013 es335 it feels like it has a bit more meat on it, maybe a little more in the shoulder. I don't have calipers here but just wrapped a tape measure around at the 12th fret and it comes out as 79mm compared to 73mm on the 335. 

Seems so far so good for this new batch of Gibsons, I've seen NGDs posted over on the gearpage for a special and a les paul standard and both were very positive. 
    Just made a strange discovery in the case....there's a photograph of the guitar that looks like it must have been taken in the Gibson factory perhaps when it was having it's final check. Is that a usual thing with Gibsons?
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    bloomer said:
    Just made a strange discovery in the case....there's a photograph of the guitar that looks like it must have been taken in the Gibson factory perhaps when it was having it's final check. Is that a usual thing with Gibsons?
    Yeah, that's normal, the 'baby' photo.  They've been doing it a few years now.
  • Very nice SG! I am also in the market for such a guitar and I was wondering whether the volume and tone knobs are actually handwired? I noticed that the double p90 SG Special had the prewired PCB pots
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13979
    edited June 2019
    Very nice SG! I am also in the market for such a guitar and I was wondering whether the volume and tone knobs are actually handwired? I noticed that the double p90 SG Special had the prewired PCB pots
    I have a 2019 SG Jr and I can confirm that the pots are handwired. All of the new Original Collection guitars are spec'd as handwired including the SG Special. Are you referring to the Les Paul Special Tribute from the Modern Collection?

• Thanks! Good to hear it is handwired (something you should expect for that money I reckon). I was talking about the 2019 gibson sg special. In this video () you can see the PCB pots around 6:30 minutes)
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    This Special was a 'limited run' I believe (from late last year?) that presumably sold well enough to have been kept on as part of the new lineup. It may therefore still have the same specs as the limited run, may in fact be the same production run.  Check serial numbers if you want to know, anything beginning 19xxxx will be the older or first run examples, anything with 1xxx9xxxx will be a newer one, post-serial number change; they've now done away with model years per se, hence this new (well, revived) serial numbering system again.  Another nice thing about this is that you can once again date an instrument to its exact date of manufacture.  Useful for birthdays, anniversaries and the like, perhaps. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chiming in on this thread, as I've been looking at Jr options the last few weeks. While the LP options seem more plentiful, the SG options seem far fewer. I'm guessing it might be down to Gibson legal team?

Is it me, or do these current Jr, seem to be, well, not over priced, but pricey? (Depending on what you consider pricey). I am guessing also due to the success of these, they might release Epi versions (which would probably be the same quality as the Custom 77, Tokai MIC, Vintage ones)

That SG Jr looks so damn good though. So so good, that I could almost justify shelling out over a grand for one. But not quite!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There was a 2019 sg junior on the forum classifieds for a good price some weeks back, don't know if it sold but could be worth a quick search. I really like mine. The finish is on the thicker side but it's very resonant, louder unplugged than my strats. 
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    The one we have in the office is a truly spectacular guitar
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bloomer said:
    There was a 2019 sg junior on the forum classifieds for a good price some weeks back, don't know if it sold but could be worth a quick search. I really like mine. The finish is on the thicker side but it's very resonant, louder unplugged than my strats. 
    I saw that. Was bought and sold in the space of a few months. You snooze, you lose. Though the Godin Summit has now grabbed my attention. That SG looks so cool though....
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1159
    Really nice guitar. Glad they’re getting back to basics