Wiring for Eldred mod using three way toggle instead of blade switch?

damm73damm73 Frets: 358
edited May 2019 in Making & Modding
I've got a self assembled Cabronita Tele with a single bridge TV Jones pickup which currently has a single vol and tone. 

I'm sure I could live without the tone control so would like to replace it with a three way toggle (which will require only minimal woodworking skills to widen the existing hole slightly - I hope).

I'm fairly certain that I should be able to wire this up so that one position on the selector gives me just pickup > volume > output and another will give pickup > volume  > 0.0047 cap > output.  If I'm right, the remaining position would cut the output?

Can anyone point me to a wiring diagram showing how this should be done?  And for bonus points, is there anyway that the third position could be used to switch the humbucker from series to parallel or would this require a push/pull pot to be added in to the equation?

I should add that the body is rear routed for 2 pots and I'm not keen on changing that, for example to fit a regular tele control plate, I'd prefer to just have the single vol and 3-way switch combo. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    How about a rotary switch pot to do this?
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • damm73damm73 Frets: 358
    Good idea, hadn't considered that.  Not as sexy as a 3-way though.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14456
    Regular Switchcraft three-way sprung leaf selector switch will not allow the circuit. (The switch works by deselecting the input that you do not require. Hence, the Eldred network will be in circuit in two of the three positions.)

A 4P3T on-on-on switch will do the job. 

IMO, it would be wise to retain the tone control. Engage the Eldred mod network via a push-pull pot under the tone control.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    If you did push-pull pot for split and use the Gretsch mud switch layout you have straight-through plus two different cap positions. Need some experimenting with cap values but small and larger value gives you two options, plus the no-load option. I've done this a couple of times, I like the quick flick to a different tone.
    And you can use those whether the pickup's split or not.