Telecaster folk - lend me your ears

What's Hot

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    I never got on with the Baja neck, as with some of the CS Teles - just too chunky tor my taste (And in my opinion historic accuracy).

I now have a 66 Tele and a 56 Esquire - both of which are which are amazing, but a bit more change, lovely necks though.

Recently I played a bunch of CS Teles, and I have to say the Fender Performer series I tried alongside them compared very, very well.

Given your price range, might be worth considering one of those? You can get them s/s or s/h - if you want the whole Keith thing
    Like you, never loved Teles - then you find a good one, or one that works for you - wonderful things!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Ha ha ha. With a rw board I reckon Oly white or faded sonic blue would be just the ticket.

Knowing our @McToot , he'll probably go for shell pink or gold sparkle, the fiend... :)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Adam_MD said:
    munckee said:

I have to say I like that in yellow. Telle’s of course should be 3tsb or a see through brown that’s the law I think?
    Only if you want to be dull as fook. 
    Don't be ridiculous I'm edgy and cool aren't I?
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    scarry67 said:
    Oddly, rest of my eloquent posting has disappeared. What I was saying was that having bought & sold lots of Teles, it’s easy to get bogged down in hunt for perfect one. I’ve ended up with another Classic 60s, also with BK pups. Your old one had had a refret with medium jumbos I recall? The neck & simplicity of the MIM 60s is hard to fault and pleasantly cheap used. (I also have soft spot for the MIJ JD Tele.)
     I don't think you bought it from me - I think I sold it to @Travisthedog, but knowing him he'd have regretted it and sold it to you in a fit of pique/GAS  :) Whne I sold it mine had a pretty manky strawberry sparkle pickguard on (I must have eaten the wrong sort of mushrooms when I did that...

Adam_MD said:
    Why not go the whole partsacaster route Jules and order everthing you want to your exact spec send it to Lamf68 for a kickass paintjob then down to the guys at Feline to turn into a wicked guitar?

I did that with my strat and ended up with a pretty special guitar.  I'll be doing the same thing with my tele build once I get the time to tske it down to Jonathan.
    Partscasters are great if you know it's a guitar for life but as I said earlier, with my track record with Teles I need to protect at least a good chunk of my investment. 

Ha ha ha. With a rw board I reckon Oly white or faded sonic blue would be just the ticket.

Knowing our @McToot , he'll probably go for shell pink or gold sparkle, the fiend... :)
    I'm in touch with my feminine side.  ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 724
    That’s bloody lovely! Got to get up to you one day to try some of your guitars out. 
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    I recall the foul “red tortoiseshell” pickguard. I think you even drove up here to Maidstone from Sussex to drop it off (perhaps wary of courier shysters...) To be fair the sheer volume of my guitar purchases/sales over last few years may have destroyed memory & reason. 
    scarry67 said:
    I recall the foul “red tortoiseshell” pickguard. I think you even drove up here to Maidstone from Sussex to drop it off (perhaps wary of courier shysters...) To be fair the sheer volume of my guitar purchases/sales over last few years may have destroyed memory & reason. 
    Ah yes - I recall now: I bought it from Travisthedog and sold it to you... I might well be passing nearby tomorrow to pick up the hideously re-finned yellow monstrosity from Sittingbourne  :)

On a related note - I saw this 'late 90s' USA Standard on ebay. The vendor even includes a pic of the serial number, which is not recognised in Fenders on product registry serial checker. The serial also seems to be in a weird position compared to all the others that I've seen. 

Any opinions?

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    McToot said:
    @McToot What amplification are you using?
    I have just sold my Fender Blues Deluxe [rolleyes] so all I have at the moment is a Marshall Origin 20 running through a 1x12 with G12-H30. Oh and a super hi-gain Jet City...

But hey, if the purchase of a Tele require a little 5E3, then so be it 

FWIW I recorded this on your Jet City amp Jules, and it works perfectly with a Tele too :)

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4598
    Personally, I think the yellow looks great.  Not a huge fan of natural finishes on Fenders.  I like the solid colours which evoke that 60s vibe.  (Lying in bed with my old metallic blue Squier Strat as I type this.)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2534
    edited May 2019
    From my experience US necks have always been too thin.

I have a Baja 50s, great neck and really light too. Tried the 60s Baja and was a bit disappointed with the neck. Nowhere near as meaty as the 50s.

What about a Tele Custom (Keef) I hear they tend to have fuller necks and come in rosewood too?
    edited May 2019
    McToot said:
    On a related note - I saw this 'late 90s' USA Standard on ebay. The vendor even includes a pic of the serial number, which is not recognised in Fenders on product registry serial checker. The serial also seems to be in a weird position compared to all the others that I've seen. 

Any opinions?
    I missed out on the manky yellow refin, though there may be a route back to it as it went unsold at 400 starting bid. 

Can anyone one help on the above-linked guitar? Is it weird that the serial number is not recognised on the Fender Registry? The placement of the serial looks odd too...

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27257
    McToot said:
    McToot said:

Any opinions?
    I missed out on the manny yellow refin, though there may be a route back to it as it went unsold at 400 starting bid. 

Can anyone one help on the above-linked guitar? Is it weird that the serial number is not recognised on the Fender Registry? The placement of the serial looks odd too...
    You're right the serial is in a weird place, but the rest of the guitar looks legit. 

A quick image search seems to throw up several other Fenders with similar placement. Just a 90's thing, maybe?  

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Thanks Mike

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    McToot said:

Any opinions?
    "set up with Ernie Ball SUPER SLINKY 9 STRINGS"

WAT? Needs minimum 10s, preferably 11s :)

R.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2534
    There is a great looking one on here with lollars in London (no affiliation). Okay, has a maple neck but just buy a rosewood one or get one made to your spec and sell the neck on here - bingo!
    There is a great looking one on here with lollars in London (no affiliation). Okay, has a maple neck but just buy a rosewood one or get one made to your spec and sell the neck on here - bingo!
    I know. Trust me I know...

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @McToot My 1995 USA Standard is still available in the classifieds .. however I would be mildly offended if you refinished it as the butterscotch is beaut! lol

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)