Crackling Pots on Wolfgang

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
As in the Title, it appears to have developed this problem to a point where it is now annoying and I want to use this Guitar for a Gig at the end of the month. It didn't seem that bad when I was gigging regular and it has been in it's case (as it always is) but obviously still played at least once a week.

Do I spray in Contact Cleaner by removing the back panel and spraying directly into the business part of the pots or by removing the knob and spraying from the exterior of the Guitar? I'd rather not have to take off the knobs.

If spraying from the back, can I be liberal with the spray, as in does it matter what else it touches as it evaporates away doesn't it?

Access at the back is the same as a Les Paul.

Thanks!
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    From the back. Put the tube that comes with the can into the slot behind the terminals and spray for about 1 second. Rotate the pot back and forth a few times and test it. If that doesn't work, try again. If it *still* doesn't work, try WD-40. If it *STILL* doesn't work, replace the pot(s).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
    Thanks @ICBM I don't have a little tube, it went walkabouts, does it matter if I try just to spray in as is but get as close as I can to the slot?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    Thanks @ICBM I don't have a little tube, it went walkabouts, does it matter if I try just to spray in as is but get as close as I can to the slot?
    It's not at all ideal but it will probably work. Don't do it with the WD-40.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    It's not at all ideal but it will probably work. Don't do it with the WD-40.
    Ok, cheers, I'll see if I can locate a tube or borrow one, if not I'll just go without.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Sorry to derail the thread entirely, but do you have the EVH Wolfgang? I'm waiting to hear back about one, and would be grateful for the opinion of an owner. 
    Yes @DeeTee it is a Peavey EVH Wolfgang, bought it in 2000. I assume it was made in 2000 or maybe 1999. It is the "Standard" top of the Line U.S.A model of the time.

D-Tuna, Floyd Rose Locking Trem, Basswood Body, Maple Cap, Birdseye Maple Neck, Vol and Tone Knob, 25.5 scale, 15" Radius of Fingerboard.

The neck is the best neck I have ever played on any Guitar, it is an asymmetrical profile.

Just so comfy, rounder on the thumb side, slimmer on the finger side, makes movement easier to me. It has the slightly slimmer nut width of 41.2mm

The pick ups are very good, quite "Hot" a lot of Bark on the Bridge, really Fat Neck Pick Up tone and the inbetween position is very full too.

There are a lot of different models of these Guitars, Specials, Deluxes, Special Deluxes, Special EXP. I know nowt about these other than some are USA made and some are Korean. I can't compare to later Fender/Charvel models for quality etc as I ain't played or heard them.

Hope that helps :)
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Awesome, thanks. I'm waiting to hear back about a modern one.* I tried it and loved it, but I feel like the pickups might be a touch too hot. 

*The shop doesn't know what the price is. And hasn't known for a week now. Bit weird.
    DeeTee said:
    Awesome, thanks. I'm waiting to hear back about a modern one.* I tried it and loved it, but I feel like the pickups might be a touch too hot. 

*The shop doesn't know what the price is. And hasn't known for a week now. Bit weird.
    Obviously, I can't say anything about the one you are after. How "Modern" is it? I lost track with production models after early 2000's. Looking at Google, there are some very optimistic prices being asked for Korean models. Guitars that don't have Gibson, Fender, Yamaha, Rick or Gretsch don't hold there value as well. I have no idea what the price of mine would be for "used" though I'll guess at £450 - £500 top whack, rare ones might fetch more. I wouldn't sell mine though.
    edited May 2019
    Sorted, now have an uncrackling Guitar  B
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    What worked?
    clarkefan said:
    What worked?
    Contact Cleaner, even though I didn't have the little tube, I just got as close as I could to the slot and sprayed a bit in @clarkefan ;