Down the string gauge rabbit hole

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• After seeing a Danny Gatton Hot Licks Video (remember them!) where he commented on 10-46 sets. His solution was to change the 11 and 17 for 12 and 15, I tried it and it worked a treat on the Tele. It seems like a more consistent feel across the neck and I can't remember why I went back to 10-46, maybe changing to a Les Paul and getting sick of having to buy the extra plain strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    tFB Trader

Ordered some of these, just finished stringing up the SG...lost a bit of volume compared to the strings Mark had put on (think D'addario 9.5 XLs if I was guessing although volume wise makes me wonder if they were NYXL). They're also a little buzzier, so guessing a little lower on tension. Weirdly the treble strings though are a bit firmer - especially the E. Gonna let them settle in, might just give truss rod a tweak here if the buzz still needs taming.

Lee - They were regular D'addario  EXL120+

I recall it was set up with a 'sissy' action, so a touch more 'buzzy' with low action and slinky strings - Agree it is a balance between that slinky feel and what string rattle you tolerate - Easy to adjust to a stiff action/feel as required - Hope you are still enjoying time with your new friend !!!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    tFB Trader
    After seeing a Danny Gatton Hot Licks Video (remember them!) where he commented on 10-46 sets. His solution was to change the 11 and 17 for 12 and 15, I tried it and it worked a treat on the Tele. It seems like a more consistent feel across the neck and I can't remember why I went back to 10-46, maybe changing to a Les Paul and getting sick of having to buy the extra plain strings.
    crikey John - Going back in time to Hot Licks Video's

I barley ever get any customers now buying single plain strings to 'customise' their own sets

• Ordered some of these, just finished stringing up the SG...lost a bit of volume compared to the strings Mark had put on (think D'addario 9.5 XLs if I was guessing although volume wise makes me wonder if they were NYXL). They're also a little buzzier, so guessing a little lower on tension. Weirdly the treble strings though are a bit firmer - especially the E. Gonna let them settle in, might just give truss rod a tweak here if the buzz still needs taming.

Lee - They were regular D'addario  EXL120+

I recall it was set up with a 'sissy' action, so a touch more 'buzzy' with low action and slinky strings - Agree it is a balance between that slinky feel and what string rattle you tolerate - Easy to adjust to a stiff action/feel as required - Hope you are still enjoying time with your new friend !!!

I am indeed enjoying it, really need to get some photos of her up - currently it's both the SG and Les Paul getting the lap time. I loosened the truss rod just to take a little more buzz off it, sat great now for my current needs. Just a case of talking through my thoughts/experience as learning since I'm not at the stage of doing my own set ups yet, but getting more comfortable towards that. Which'll be handy down the line since it is all personal.

Sissy action works for me - why work so hard ;-)

Also - unlucky vs Derby

After seeing a Danny Gatton Hot Licks Video (remember them!) where he commented on 10-46 sets. His solution was to change the 11 and 17 for 12 and 15, I tried it and it worked a treat on the Tele. It seems like a more consistent feel across the neck and I can't remember why I went back to 10-46, maybe changing to a Les Paul and getting sick of having to buy the extra plain strings.
    crikey John - Going back in time to Hot Licks Video's

I barley ever get any customers now buying single plain strings to 'customise' their own sets

Considered this route actually whilst trying to find the pure nickel 9.5s...String direct will put together custom sets and give you a product identifier for re-ordering extra. Kinda appeals because I clutter enough as it is!