Practice amp?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11762
    sw67 said:
    I have a Rift Tweed 5 on order - It has been pre approved by the wife and can be left out in the living room ready to go. 
    If i was ever able to fund a Rift Tweed i would move the TV and have the amp there so i could sit and stare at it all night! :)
    Or you could play guitar through it ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    For living room/bedroom noodling nothing beats the THR 10c for size, sound and versatility. But, it won’t give you a big/“full” tone like a valve amp.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    sw67 said:
    I have a Rift Tweed 5 on order - It has been pre approved by the wife and can be left out in the living room ready to go. 
    If i was ever able to fund a Rift Tweed i would move the TV and have the amp there so i could sit and stare at it all night! :)
    Or you could play guitar through it ;)
    Nah... Too loud! =)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    Pignose.
    It's all anyone needs for home playing.
    Don't be fooled by its simplicity, it's a very capable little amp.
    I should probably use mine more... but I'm just not that much of a fan of its sound, on its own.
    You doubtless already know this, but a buffered pedal brings it to life. I use a Marshall reverb pedal for full cheesiness, but even switched off the amp sounds much better. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    I have one of these:

http://i.imgur.com/7QyICkg.jpg ;

Laney Lionheart Mini ST

I got fed up of playing unplugged. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    p90fool said:

You doubtless already know this, but a buffered pedal brings it to life. I use a Marshall reverb pedal for full cheesiness, but even switched off the amp sounds much better. 
    Yes, it's because the input impedance is ridiculously low and strangles the guitar tone, so a buffer in front makes it sound much more lively. But even then it's just a bit boxy and nasal, even with the case half open.

Sesh said:

Laney Lionheart Mini ST
    That is *very* cute :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    To me if I need to be proper quiet I park the idea of tones and just play unplugged, why bother endlessly trying to recreate a loud experience quietly?

My suggestion for more is a Pocket Pod and headphones.  Cheap and has a lots of sounds in it.  Doesn't sound like a 100w stack, but nothing quiet does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    The only device I’ve enjoyed through headphones was a Vox Amplug AC30. No frills on the old one but it sounded good and involved very few wires or space. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I use a VOX G3 mini, sounds fine in a small space, its kept downstairs for lounge or conservatory playing - I tend to use the 70's setting with a bit of gain and a touch of reverb. It's that or acoustic if I need to keep it low down. 
  • JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 55
    I use a THR10, but also use a SF Twin Reverb and pedals which works surprisingly well at low volume.  I sometimes use a 5E3, or JTM45 for clean, but they are more tricky to keep at a civilised level than the Twin.
    my trading feedback HERE
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Here’s my “kids in bed” headphone rig for this evening. OX has transformed my playing experience.

https://i.imgur.com/TCpresa.jpg

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4175
    I use my Katana through my monitor speakers. Can get that so quiet I can barely hear it over the guitar strings. I've got a pair of AKG headphones coming for my birthday next week so I'll be using them, either straight from the amp or from the interface
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4175
    dindude said:
    Here’s my “kids in bed” headphone rig for this evening. OX has transformed my playing experience.

What does the OX do, dude?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    dindude said:

What does the OX do, dude?
    It’s an attenuator / load box / speaker sim / post prod effects thingy - essentially designed as a recording devicef for valve amps but I use it as a glorified headphone solution. Secret to it is the room mic sims and the glorious reverb and delays within - makes headphone practice a very immersive experience.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 245
    I think it comes down to how quiet is needed.  If its at unplugged guitar levels then I dont see the point.  I did try a boss katana 50 recently though and was well impressed.  I only tried it clean with some reverb and the boost on and it sounded great that would be my choice.

• I don't have two different rigs - I use a Suhr Reactive Load and a Two Notes Torpedo Cab M to listen to my big amps at any volume.

https://medium.com/fretboard/how-to-get-a-great-guitar-tone-at-low-volume-without-a-speaker-cabinet-5bfd0371f9f6
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Depends what you are playing .I love my Blackstar Fly 3 .Tiny but not tinny .i play bluesy jazzy stuff mainly .Strats Teles and a Gibson Midtown .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom