Quick connect loom ?

What's Hot
baldybaldy Frets: 195
I have a guitar I want to use as a platform to try out a few different pickups & I wondered if rather than de-soldering & soldering each time I could use some sort of connectors ?
My idea was to solder short wires to the pots then into connectors then just put the pickup wires into the connectors to save soldering.
If this is feasable what sort of connectors should I use (links would be great) & what awg/amp wire from the pots to connectotrs to use, 22awg  ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Have a look at the quick connectors that Gibson use these days. I'm pretty sure these can be bought from Stewmac, and I think they'll do what you're looking for.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    Chocolate block strip is the easiest method.

Any wire at all is fine. If you get hold of an old Scart lead and cut it open you’ll have as much as you need for years of guitar repair work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    edited May 2019
    I wondered if chocolate blocks would be ok, what amp ?
    I have reels of coloured soft silicon covered multi strand wire in 22awg up to 10awg.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    baldy said:
    I wondered if chocolate blocks would be ok, what amp ?
    I have reels of coloured soft silicon covered multi strand wire in 22awg up to 10awg.
    Any. The current is in microamps. Just use whatever is easiest to work with.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2019
    Great, thanks for the advice ICBM.
    I want to try out several pickup combo"s, 4 conductor, & it will save a lot of soldering/de-soldering.
    I have some small chocolate block strips, probably 3 amp, so they will be fine.
    Can you get chocolate blocks smaller than the 3A ones I have ?
    I am sure I have seen smaller ones somewhere but for the life of me can"t find any.
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    baldy said:
    Can you get chocolate blocks smaller than the 3A ones I have ?
    I am sure I have seen smaller ones somewhere but for the life of me can"t find any.
    RS sells all sorts of different screw terminals. The 3A ones are generally the smallest used in electrical installations (typically lighting or CH wiring) but there are much smaller ones available for electronics. However, if you already have the 3A versions you might as well use them as they are pretty small and you already have them (i.e. free).