Trem types

What's Hot
drpbierdrpbier Frets: 228
Could anyone school me on the various types of tremolo system and their characteristics in use? The context is that I'm saving up for a nice offset guitar - my top 2 contenders at the moment are a Novo Serus J and a Suhr JM Pro - the Novo has a Mastery and the Suhr has a Gotoh 510. I don't really know how they differ apart from visually, and then of course there are Strat terms, Bigsby, Floyd Rose and god knows whatever else.
How do these things all compare?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4205
    edited May 2019
    Strat trems and Floyd Roses work on more or less the same principle: the bridge rocks on a couple of points at the front, and can be set up to allow raising and lowering the pitch, or to allow lowering the pitch (aka 'diving' or 'divebombing') only. This is usually a personal preference thing, but some people say it affects tone and/or sustain too. Also if the bridge is set to float (allowing raising and lowering) then if you break a string the others will go sharp as the bridge moves back to compensate for the reduced overall string tension. The Floyd clamps the strings in the bridge (and at the locking nut), which generally gives (if it's set up correctly) a wider range of vibrato while maintaining tuning stability. Strat trems can either be connected to the guitar body through 2 or 6 points; other users will be able to offer insight on the pros and cons of these. There are various makes, such as Wilkinson, which use similar principles; each will tell you theirs is the best. The Gotoh 510 appears to be a Strat-style trem.

The Bigsby isn't something I have any experience of, but my understanding of it from what I've seen is that it's better for a very delicate subtle vibrato, but can be a bit iffy with tuning stability. Apparently restringing is a bit of an ordeal, too.

I've just had a look at the Mastery bridge online, that's not one I'm familiar with. I've read that Jaguar and Jazzmaster bridges are a bit of a pain, but that the Mastery addresses the issues successfully.

In terms of feel, a Strat trem and a Floyd Rose feel quite similar, depending on the strength and number of springs used. The arm and pivot point are more or less in the same place relative to each other and to your picking hand. The Mastery and Bigsby trems will feel different, but I've never played a guitar with either of those so I can't really help much with them, sorry
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Take a look at the Duesenberg version. It’s rather brill. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673

The Bigsby isn't something I have any experience of, but my understanding of it from what I've seen is that it's better for a very delicate subtle vibrato, but can be a bit iffy with tuning stability. Apparently restringing is a bit of an ordeal, too.
    None of this is true :).

If the guitar is set up correctly it stays in tune very well, it's a piece of cake to restring if you learn the simple method of doing it, and it has the largest bend range of *any* vibrato.

... although most of it is in the UP direction ;). But it can go down further than most people realise too, if the arm is set reasonably high.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4205
    ICBM said:

None of this is true :).

If the guitar is set up correctly it stays in tune very well, it's a piece of cake to restring if you learn the simple method of doing it, and it has the largest bend range of *any* vibrato.

... although most of it is in the UP direction ;). But it can go down further than most people realise too, if the arm is set reasonably high.
    Every day's a school day: I had no idea about that!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    edited May 2019
    The biggest bigsby issue is that they are usually installed on 3 a side headstock guitars with binding nut angles. Mind you, that aside, with the bridge itself also adding friction it'll never stay in tune as much as a strat trem.

I do find that they easily do a more subtle vibrato that is nicer for chords. 

JM trems are technically more stable as they are on 6 in line heastock guitars and the rocking bridge helps string sticking vs shitty tune o matics.

So IMO
    Best to worst to return to tune:

Floyd

Musicman/Gotoh 510 2 point trems etc

6 Screw strat style

Jazzmaster/Jaguar, Bigsby with rocker bridge

Bigsby on a Gibson

The biggest bigsby issue is that they are usually installed on 3 a side headstock guitars with binding nut angles. Mind you, that aside, with the bridge itself also adding friction it'll never stay in tune as much as a strat trem.

JM trems are technically more stable as they are on 6 in line heastock guitars and the rocking bridge helps string sticking vs shitty tune o matics.
    This is exactly right, which is why a *proper* Bigsby Tele with the Jazzmaster bridge, as well as the straight string pull, stays in tune perfectly - it's not the Bigsby which causes trouble. If you don't have a rocking bridge, a roller bridge works well too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Almost every trem system I've ever used eventually annoys me. I blocked the Fender Strat after a couple of years and blocked the Floyd Rose on my Jackson after a few months.

The main reason is because they prevent you doing stop bends (playing one or two strings fretted whilst bending another).

The only one that allows this is my PRS CE24. How? I'm d@amned if I know. It has survived so far.

Floyd Rose offers tuning stability, but they affect your set up. In fact they are a part of your set up. For that reason you need to take a lot of care restringing or changing tuning.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 228
    Lots of helpful info, thanks all!
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3309
    gringopig said:
    The jaguar/Jazzmaster tremelo is a masterful design of poise and balance with a rocking bridge pivoting on genuine unicorn horn that will allow gentle and soothing undulations which can cause spontaneous smiling and joy. It never goes out of tune and the bar is nice and long to allow pinkie control of those sweet sweet undulations. The best design ever!
    I do like a trem (or vib...whatever) but I only recently got hold of a Jaguar. One Staytrem bridge (it already has the arm upgrade) and some fiddling later, it’s now my favourite type of wobbleage.
    edited July 2020
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    gringopig said:
    gringopig said:
    The jaguar/Jazzmaster tremelo is a masterful design of poise and balance with a rocking bridge pivoting on genuine unicorn horn that will allow gentle and soothing undulations which can cause spontaneous smiling and joy. It never goes out of tune and the bar is nice and long to allow pinkie control of those sweet sweet undulations. The best design ever!
    I do like a trem (or vib...whatever) but I only recently got hold of a Jaguar. One Staytrem bridge (it already has the arm upgrade) and some fiddling later, it’s now my favourite type of wobbleage.
    Helps if you have a good amount of shimming in the neck pocket too as all JM/Jags should have to get the break angle. 
    That's just not true. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited July 2020
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3309
    Johnny Marr sig!
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Kahler Pro, FTW! :)

One of my all-time fave vibrato units...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ICBM said:

This is exactly right, which is why a *proper* Bigsby Tele with the Jazzmaster bridge, as well as the straight string pull, stays in tune perfectly - it's not the Bigsby which causes trouble.

If you don't have a rocking bridge, a roller bridge works well too.

Quite right. 
    I have roller bridges on all my Bigsby'd guitars and as long as you keep your nut lubricated (oo-er missus, etc.) there is minimal tuning instability. It is something that you need to keep on top of though.
    Another Bigsby factor is the spring strength - different springs return different responses, from stiff to spongy. 
    gringopig said:

Have you ever seen a jag or JM without a shim?
    No, the bridge is too high to allow it - but you don’t need a huge one. When I had my ‘65 Jag it was set up with a single 1/32” fibre shim, with no mute under the bridge. It stayed in tune better like that than when I put the mute back on and had to shim it higher - actually better than any other guitar I’ve used live, including hardtails.

(I’ve never gigged with a Floyd, those are truly rock-solid.)