New guitar shortlist Ltd vs Ibanez

What's Hot
shaunk26shaunk26 Frets: 25
edited May 2019 in Guitar
In the process of shortlisting for a guitar. Andertons have a Ltd ec 1000 reduced to £649 because its an old discontinued model. But I am really keen on the Ibanez Rg550 or RG652 in antique white. What are your thoughts? Also watching for Edwards LP copies. 
2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    edited May 2019
    Get an RG. I don’t like single cuts. But to be honest, just buy what you want. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    RG
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Depends on what you’ve got already.

The EC1000 is an exceptionally playing guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunk26shaunk26 Frets: 25
    Got one of the limited 2004 LP standards in midnight blue and a classic 70s strat re-issue. Just had a hankering for a guitar that’s more metal lately.
    2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    ESP EC is a tweaked Les Paul design. The Anderton’s clearance price would pay for several aftermarket replacement pickups that could go in your Gibson.

Ibanez RG is tailored to speedy Metal playing styles. 

Alternatively, you could purchase a trio of high output pickups, a scratchplate and controls for your Stratocaster.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited May 2019
    I have both. 

My RG550 is a 2002 MIJ and my LTD is a 2015 EC401, which is the model down from the one you’re looking at. 

Both are exceptional guitars but very different. 

The RG has a “Wizard III” neck profile and it’s VERY thin. It’s also very flat and wide and has massive frets. Upper fret access is awesome and it’s a Strat feel with a full on EDGE locking Tremolo. 

The EC is another planet. 
    Still 24 frets but totally different neck, much chunkier. This has X-Jumbo frets and on a 1000 model it’ll be an edge bound neck. 
    It’s a thinner bodied LP and surprisingly light. Mine came with EMG but loads have SD pickups fitted. 
    It plays like you’d imagine. Way easier to sling around on a guitar strap than an LP and has a slightly more “mid range” voice with a little less bottom end to the sound. 

Build quality on both is superb. 

I realise my RG isn’t the current model you’re looking at but I’ve played a current RG550 and very little has changed. I thought *maybe* the neck isn’t quite as unashamedly skinny as the old one, but even by today’s standards it isn’t a thick neck profile at all. 

If this was me the the bigger question would be “Which one do I need more?”  

They're such totally different guitars that once you get past the QC and hardware spec choices, it really just comes down to which style you want to play on it. 

Both are excellent guitars and I would imagine the new RG and the latest EC1000 are even better than the guitars I have here. 

Good luck. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    If you're looking to go more metal then I have to say that Jackson is king of the hill. At every price point the quality and playability is there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom