Finding Used Gear

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
A lot of people on the forum are fond of buying used guitars (and associated gear). E.g. "should I buy this or that" - "you could get such and such second hand for that money".

I've never bought a used guitar but obviously the lower prices are appealing and especially the idea of being able to shift something on in the future without losing much.

But any time I've looked on the "for sale" forum on here or on a bass forum, I'll scroll through pages of posts, eventually find what I'm after only to click in the post and see that it's 100s of miles away.

So how do you guys get round this? How do you find the specific things you're looking for within a realistic vicinity?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 942
    Well there's no magic solution to this. If you're not willing or able to travel to see/demo an item then your choices are either to a)  buy on trust and have it sent to you or b) have the patience to wait until something is advertised within your region.

If you live in Inverness, then good luck with b) 

However, having said that, I live in Kent not too far from London and I'm always amazed at how many used guitars up for sale seem to be in Scotland!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    Go to ebay, filter by 'used', sort by 'nearest', decide "fucksake, no one has any decent shit anywhere near me", go back to what  you were doing before.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    I’ve travelled in the past to pick up guitars. It’s all part of the fun. 

Also checked out classifieds etc when in other parts of the country for work or whatever.

If you’re not prepared to put a little bit of effort in than the used market probably isn’t for you. 

As above I’ve seen a fair bit in Scotland and that’s way past my ‘effort’ to travel to buy a guitar.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited May 2019
    Consider relocating to the midlands, a good proportion of the country is less than 2 hours away in any direction. You'll have a lot more choice starting out from there. HTH. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Consider relocating to the midlands, a good proportion of the country is less than 2 hours away in any direction. You'll have a lot more choice starting out from there. HTH. 
    That sounds like a proportionate response to buying used guitars.  ;)

Of course the downside is you end up living in the midlands..
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 851
    Iamnobody said:

Also checked out classifieds etc when in other parts of the country for work or whatever.

If you’re not prepared to put a little bit of effort in than the used market probably isn’t for you. 

As above I’ve seen a fair bit in Scotland and that’s way past my ‘effort’ to travel to buy a guitar.
    Yep I try and work it in to a day out if it is say over 30 miles, it keeps both of us happy (wife and I). The other week we ended up in Liverpool and went to the Tate Modern (which was fantastic) we may never have done it without being on the trail of something: )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited May 2019
    I join local Facebook “musical instruments for sale” groups and have a saved search on the Gumtree app for guitars within 15miles. 
    Other than that it’s just patience, being willing to travel and acting FAST if something comes up. 

Living near a major population centre helps, but obviously more guitars are available and there are more people locally looking at them. 

Just seen you’re in Glasgow, there’s a huge Facebook group covering Glasgow & Edinburgh etc. 
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/358559090891321/

Youre welcome to come to Edinburgh to try the Jazzmaster I’m selling. ;-)
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227
    Most sellers are happy to post.  I've never had a problems sending or receiving.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I’ve never bought a new guitar or amp and I’ve travelled the length and breadth of the country to get what I want. It depends on how much you want a particular thing. I advertised a guitar on here a few months back and a member travelled from Oslo to get it. I met him at Manchester airport and he went back happy.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Gumtree works for me .Just depends on what you want  and how quickly you want it .
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1060
    Try living on another continent! I have to travel back to the uk for refrets etc! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    If you're not prepared to put a bit of effort into buying guitars that you can then sell at a loss, there's no hope for you.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Me and the wife like weekend breaks. I often check Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace when away to see what's out there. Sometimes we go separate ways for an hour or so and I go around the shops too.

If you visit the same shops in Glasgow they will probably get to know you and what you may be after. The shop @icbm works at, for instance, it busting with used stuff for sale.

I rate the feel of a guitar more important than sounds generally so I find it relatively easy to try in shops at lower or no volume.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24850
    Me and the wife like weekend breaks. I often check Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace when away to see what's out there. Sometimes we go separate ways for an hour or so and I go around the shops too.
    If I’d bought a guitar on a weekend break with my ex-wife, I’d have become her ex-husband much sooner.....
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    I’m saying nowt! ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Iamnobody said:

Wow that's quite extreme. Can I borrow your flux capacitor? :P 
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

If you visit the same shops in Glasgow they will probably get to know you and what you may be after. The shop @icbm works at, for instance, it busting with used stuff for sale.

I rate the feel of a guitar more important than sounds generally so I find it relatively easy to try in shops at lower or no volume.
    Shops selling used guitars is what I've thought would be the most realistic option. I'd imagine they'd cost a bit more than they would from a punter though?

Seems those who would buy specific models used have the time to travel rather than there being an easy way to find one locally.

I suppose I'd have more luck just keeping an eye out for local listings and finding something interesting from those rather than looking for a specific model.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    thegummy said:
    Iamnobody said:
    You need to be careful. I went back to 1965 and bought a Les Paul Standard from Macari's for £75, thinking that I would be rich. The only problem was that it was the one Clapton would have bought later that day, so he got a Custom instead. When I got back to the present day I discovered that black Customs were the price of a house and people were painting over those ugly red and yellow ones that no-one really wanted and fitting middle pickups...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:
    Iamnobody said:
    You need to be careful. I went back to 1965 and bought a Les Paul Standard from Macari's for £75, thinking that I would be rich. The only problem was that it was the one Clapton would have bought later that day, so he got a Custom instead. When I got back to the present day I discovered that black Customs were the price of a house and people were painting over those ugly red and yellow ones that no-one really wanted and fitting middle pickups...
    Lols for both of you.
  • No easy solution I'm afraid, think ourselves lucky that we only have to travel a few hours, in the US it could be days and 1000's of miles. 
    More often than not the buyer or seller is located a few hours away, I usually try and meet halfway. And failing that if I'm the buyer I will travel, I guess that's the price you pay getting something cheaper or harder to find