Tuning guitar - big shows - famous

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4135
edited May 2019 in Guitar
During gigs I occasionally need to tune a string between songs.  Sometimes whilst I'm playing I can detect a string might be a tiny bit sharp or flat and I'm unsure whether to try to adjust it on thr go,  or wait till the song is over.

And that got me thinking,  when big bands put on a huge show with dancers, outfits,  choreography etc, and their guitarist realizes they need to tune between songs what do they do?   Because everything is so choreographed like a theatre show,  they can't really just turn to thr singer and say hold on a second whilst I tighten my G string. 

I wondered if anyone has been to these kind of big shows and saw how they manage it? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8765
    The obvious solution is switching guitars. The tech hands over a freshly tuned guitar after every number
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1474
    One quick nod to your tech gets you a fresh guitar and he can tune the original one up again. My old tech and I had this down to six seconds :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    I saw David Rhodes play with Peter Gabriel some years ago - he changed guitars every couple of songs at most. The guitar which was handed back got tuned and put back in the rack - or cleaned and put in its case if it wasn’t needed for the rest of the show. His tech did an amazing job.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    I remember going to see Colin James years ago and he had a fresh strat for every song ( probably three on rotation I think) which is my first memory of that. 

In practice, IMHO ,there's usually a couple of seconds to tune a string and you'll see backing guitarists checking their tuning whenever there's a down moment so the issue doesn't come up. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31675
    I've done a few shows in big bands and as a guitarist there is usually a moment during songs when your part is not critical or you have nothing to play for a few bars when you can tune up IME. 

If there's a song where I have a prominent intro I almost always find a way to duck out for a few seconds toward the end of the previous song so I know I'm ready, in fact I often do that even in our four-piece. 

Most well set up guitars are fine after the first few songs, where even the most stable guitars need to adjust to venue and hand temperature. 

I'm pretty comfortable tuning while I'm playing if I get a string go flat as long as I can hear my amp pretty well, but even those of us with excellent pitch can struggle with pitch fatigue toward the end of a long, loud set.

Lots of ways to cope on the fly without having a guitar tech crashing through the brass section towards you waving a fresh Telecaster.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19019
    Easy. Just get a Gibson with a G-Force tuner fitted.

I'm wearing body armour & a helmet  ;)
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Surely tuning one string is much faster and less disruptive than relying on some bloke handing you a fresh guitar?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    A properly set up guitar is the key to this. Once warmed up to the ambient temperature in the venue, my PRS DGT never goes out of tune as long as I don't use stupidly old strings. We played two sets of 45m and a hour last night and I used that one guitar for every song apart from a couple of slide numbers. Habitually I check it between songs anyway, and a quick strum on a polyphonic tuner tells me right away that I'm OK. That guitar never shifts tuning despite me being a heavy handed player and a couple of songs with copious use of the vibrato arm.

I also have to say that the Tele that @SteveRobinson built for me is also rock solid in its tuning. Of course, Steve also set that up so it's properly fettled.

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4135
    Sounds like when I hit thre big time I'll need to get myself a helpful tech for the wings then. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    However do classical musicians manage with only one instrument?!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    When I was guitar & bass tech for The 1975, their entire show was on time code with the click track which gave the lighting cues etc which meant any problems needs to be dealt with immediately or it would stop the show so we all used in-ears and I had 2 mixes I could switch between: one so I could listen to Matthew’s guitar (guitarist/singer) and one to listen to Ross’ Bass (bass player). I could tell immediately if a guitar was going out of tune - he used pre-CBS Fender Mustangs which were a nightmare to tour with & I swapped out most of the parts for more roadworthy options. He was a very physical performer/player so when I’d hear the guitar tuning start to waver I’d have another one ready for him by the time he’d realised and nodded to me for a change. I’d also have a separate override of his pedal switching system
    too so I could switch them remotely if he was away from the board or hit the wrong one.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8765
    ICBM said:
    Classical string players generally don’t have fretted instruments.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7081
    tFB Trader
    I went to a baroque concert last night. The orchestra all used period instruments.

The string section all used gut strings which are very sensitive to humidity. They did a lot of retuning.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7135
    I once saw Quim Francetti of Dogbox change a string MID FUCKIN' SONG and he didn't miss a note ok?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    tony99 said:
    I once saw Quim Francetti of Dogbox change a string MID FUCKIN' SONG and he didn't miss a note ok?
    I've done that too. In Hey Joe, between the first and second solos...

It did help that there was another guitarist and a keyboard player in the band so it wouldn't have been the end of the world if I hadn't done it in time. And I don't sing, so I could just get on and do it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    edited May 2019
    I saw the guy from The Wave Pictures play half a gig with a snapped string. No spare guitar, didn’t want to stop the flow of the gig to change the string. Zero fucks given. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    I saw Wilko Johnson change a string mid song.  Quite nifty when it's a three piece and you're also the singer.  He had a packet of strings in his back pocket.  Looked through them whilst singing to find the one he needed, threaded up, tuned and off he went. 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I always love how Hendrix would arrive on stage after his introduction and proceed to tune his guitar because ‘we care for your ears’, quipping ‘and for our next tune’. Tuning up his flat string during Hey Joe on the Lulu show is another great example of accepting tuning up as an inevitable part of the show: just pull it off with a cheeky OMG grin. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3309
    ICBM said:
    Classical guitar: you get to watch a lot of ‘zonal’ tuning of nylon strings.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3309
    I saw Wilko Johnson change a string mid song.  Quite nifty when it's a three piece and you're also the singer.  He had a packet of strings in his back pocket.  Looked through them whilst singing to find the one he needed, threaded up, tuned and off he went. 
    If anyone has seen a Nick Harper show, you’d come away disappointed if you didn’t get to witness his mid-performance string break party piece ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom