Budget modelling Vs helix

What's Hot
ZonularZonular Frets: 62
Opinion time, I'm using a zoom g3xn as a form of headphone practice with the aux in.

In your opinion how much of an upgrade is the likes of the helix stomp?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    I should add I'm using a zoom b10n for bass, so an all in one unit appeals to me
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 599
    For just headphone practice? If you have a computer just buy an interface and get a plug in. Helix is awesome for headphones and live/with an amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    I have been using a Yamaha THR10 for a few years, and recently got a Helix HX Stomp.

I'd say, that with some IRs (there are some nice free ones), it's a really significant step up. I was able to get sounds I liked just fine from the THR, but the Helix offers much better break-up and high gain sounds, and takes pedals a lot better. It feels more "amp-like" under the fingers.

But, I'd have been absolutely fine living with the cheaper option for headphone practice, if I didn't have the luxury of the HX.
    I had nearly pulled the trigger on a thr10 just still have a micro cube still powering on from the early 2000's. 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    I'd say the THR is really good (for me) for clean sounds, and sounds great, and surprisingly big, through the speaker. The effects on it are also pretty good, especially if you use the software to edit the deeper parameters.

For me (and others have different experiences, so YMMV), the higher gain sounds weren't really quite right.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9663
    The HX Stomp is superb value for money. Full stop, imho...

Verbs and delays are much improved, and whilst the amp settings still don't sound as good as my (£2500 !) Carr mercury V, they are a potential life saver if I throw a tube live (as I did in my last 2 gigs !!)

I actually really enjoy using the Stomp too, and its now linked to a Morningstar MC6 which is a truly superb device too.
    I actually picked up a mobile cube as a budget frfr to use with the zoom. Surprisingly good for 40 quid on eBay. I have a 15 watt valve amp but never have the house free to get joy out of it hence going digital.

Funny enough I have it up for sale over here with no bite
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4171
    Zoom G3 is excellent for headphone practice.

Make sure you add the "Air" block at the end of the chain if you've space when using headphones. It widens out the stereo field and makes it sound more natural when using headphones.

Makes a huge difference.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I picked up a Zoom G3n as a Helix backup ages ago, thought it sounded great at home, but at band practice it just didn’t feel any where near as good as the Helix, the touch responsiveness just wasn’t there and it seemed to have little dynamics 

For home use yes, for band use it’s a no from me