Same Feel on All Guitars?

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Would your ideal be to have all your guitars with the same size and shape of neck etc. So they all feel the same, you'd just be swapping between them for tones?

Kind of like how it works with midi in the keyboard world, you'd have one single master keyboard you like the feel of and you just switch it between controlling different pieces of hardware or software to get different sounds.

Or do you like the variety of actually having totally different guitars that feel different?

I had the idea of the former where I'd be extremely familiar with one feel, maybe even have 2 identical Strats, one with singles and one with humbuckers. But I'm actually thinking when I switch between the very thin PRS Custom and the Bernie Marsden with the chunky neck, it's nice to have the variety.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I prefer variety. It makes me play differently and use different styles so that tonal range comes not just from pick ups etc, but what I’m doing as a player.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    If it’s a day job, reducing variety might be a good thing for some applications. If it’s a hobby, variety is more interesting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4205
    I'm the exact opposite! My guitars all feel different, but they all sound similar - so I can use any of them for anything. If I was a session musician I'm pretty sure I'd have some different sounding stuff, but for what I do all I really need is a massive distortion sound and a wah :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    I generally prefer them to feel similar. I have a fairly narrow range of what I find comfortable regarding neck profile, body shape, neck position etc, so that tends to restrict the amount of variation quite a lot. I *can* play most other things, but why bother when you can get something that sounds how you want that's also comfortable?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I have a Strat and a Les Paul copy. They’re both so different, each time I go to pick up a guitar I have a few seconds of deciding which one to go for. I’d like more guitars of varying types. So for me it’s variety, the differences between then inspires me in different ways. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I prefer a big chunky neck but I'm not all that bothered.
  • IaMsPlattIaMsPlatt Frets: 3
    Id say mine are all similar but different without being too different.  Perhaps if there was some measure of neck that went from 0-100, mine would probably be all within 30-50 or 60-80 or something.  They feel different from the finish and the frets and maybe even the weight of the body and the angle that the neck sits at.  Dont know that Id want something at 10 and something at 90.  Might be too different to swap easily.
    I am Mark S Platt but not the hacker M*rk Pl*tt
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23151
    Similar-ish.  Neck's the main thing.  Big Gibson necks don't really feel anything like big Fender necks but I don't want anything skinny.

Then once you factor in the body shape, weight distribution etc it's pretty hard to find differently-constructed guitars which still feel similar.
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    My three main guitars do all feel pretty similar (the PRS SE has a slightly wider neck but only by a mm or so, and the depth is basically the same as the others). I guess I liked and bought each of them because they're necks "fitted" me well  :smiley:

Not sure I've ever tried any ultra-thin necks, but I know I don't get on with super-chunky ones.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24850
    My two main electrics (PRS DGT & 56 Relic Strat) have some similarities and some differences. Both have reasonably chunky necks (without being huge) but their profiles are quite different. The Strat has low, smallish frets - the PRS has big, tall frets. I find I can swap between them pretty easily....
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    For a couple of decades hard gigging both my guitars had similar necks and action. It made quick swaps automatic. As I could afford more different guitars that would be for specific songs and I'd quickly resort to the tried and tested. More recently I have added a 52AVRI tele and a 335. Both of which feel quite different to my former standard, the tele still feels odd because I don't get on with maple fingerboard too well, the Gibson took best part of 2 years before it became a favourite.
    Low action and rolled edges are a pre requisite though.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2914
    edited May 2019
    I'm quite particular about what I'd buy. I'll play anything for a quick jam but I start to get hand cramps if it's too thin and flat on the back. Don't like a wide neck/string spacing either, or skinny low vintage frets. Not a huge fan of 25.5" scale lengths either - all of which pretty much limits me to Gibson. Whatever is on my 08 SG Standard is perfect, it's a rounded 59 I think? I do actually really like the looks of the new Fender Powercaster though, tempted to try one. Modern C isn't that bad or probably even far off my SG in terms of size.
  • If you want one guitar & to just change the tones why not just buy a Variax? 
    One physical guitar & lots of options- I've got a mate who uses a JTV in a covers band & loves it. 

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5867
    Before I started buying "more" Guitars, I was very rigid in wanting a 25.5 scale length, a Fingerboard Radius of 14" - 16" and it must have a locking Trem. I decided instead to take a leap of faith and go for something different.

I can now get on with Fender Necks & 9.5" Radius, in fact, the Modern C of the old Standards are my 2nd fave necks ever.

I can now also get on with my Gibson Necks (although I do realise that they vary somewhat on certain models) and I am getting more used to their 24.75 scale lengths.

Of course I have preferences among my Guitars, I like my Fenders as they are more comfy for my hand in how I play Funk style. I feel more at home with the Gibsons for playing lead work in certain styles.

The best Guitar Neck ever belongs to my Peavey EVH Wolfgang, it is a Workhorse Guitar, it's fantastic (so long as I don't Dive Bomb it)
    ;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8766
     thegummy said:
    Would your ideal be to have all your guitars with the same size and shape of neck etc. So they all feel the same, you'd just be swapping between them for tones?
    I don't think that identical neck geometry is necessarily the best answer. For example, a Telecaster tends to stick out in front of you, whereas a 335 hangs closer to your body, and is frequently worn higher. Well they do in my case. So it’s easier (for me) to play thumb-over on a Tele, and thumb-behind on a 335. Now personally if prefer a thinner neck when I play thumb behind.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    AlexC said:
    I prefer variety. It makes me play differently and use different styles so that tonal range comes not just from pick ups etc, but what I’m doing as a player.
    This exactly
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I like them all different, just like my mistresses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3007
    If I could I would have all the necks on all my guitars remade so they felt and played exactly like the neck on my old Tyler Studio Elite