Guitar weigh-in photos from online stores

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
Ive noticed several online stores now list guitar weights for mid to higher priced items, particularly Gibson’s.

No doubt driven by market demand. Guitarguitar have held off but Peach, Coda, GAK, Richtone, Andertons and no doubt others are now adding the weigh-in photo to their serialised listings.

I’d be interested to know how this is working out from a sales/business model perspective. No doubt saves them replying to hundreds of “what’s the weight” emails. But mabye they can now predict which heavier guitars will be slow to sell?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Paging @guitars4you ;
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7135
    TINMAN82 said:
    Ive noticed several online stores now list guitar weights for mid to higher priced items, particularly Gibson’s.

No doubt driven by market demand. Guitarguitar have held off but Peach, Coda, GAK, Richtone, Andertons and no doubt others are now adding the weigh-in photo to their serialised listings.

I’d be interested to know how this is working out from a sales/business model perspective. No doubt saves them replying to hundreds of “what’s the weight” emails. But mabye they can now predict which heavier guitars will be slow to sell?
    To be fair, it won't be long before those with a bit of nouse realise you get more for your money with the weighty ones 

"The Prostitute Rule" I call it
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Is it a bit like when you buy cheese and they say "oh, that's a bit over, that'll be another 300 quid please"?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    I never understood where the myth that “heavier” guitars are unpopular or slow to sell. My last few sales have been a mixture of weights with the last couple of customers requesting 8lb + strats. 

Personally, I’d be interested for them to weigh the mid priced fenders (of which I’ve refinished many) and track them sale for sale. I call a 5lb body “heavy”. Some of the refinish work I do is on 5lb - 6lb bodies which takes you into Les Paul territory. 

I weigh the bodies I do for the reason you highlighted @TINMAN82 .... it stops me getting too much email traffic. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited May 2019
    I never understood where the myth that “heavier” guitars are unpopular or slow to sell. My last few sales have been a mixture of weights with the last couple of customers requesting 8lb + strats. 

Personally, I’d be interested for them to weigh the mid priced fenders (of which I’ve refinished many) and track them sale for sale. I call a 5lb body “heavy”. Some of the refinish work I do is on 5lb - 6lb bodies which takes you into Les Paul territory. 

I weigh the bodies I do for the reason you highlighted @TINMAN82 .... it stops me getting too much email traffic. 
    I guess my assumption, largely influenced by forum chat no doubt, was that the really heavy ones (particularly 10lbs plus) might be slower to sell.

I think particularly when you’re talking about people who have the cash and inclination to spend £2k + on a Gibson or other guitar, you’re probably identifying a cohort who have either done a bit of online research (+/- been influenced by forums) or already have strongly held preferences.

Interesting the change- I remember looking at a MIM 72 custom telecaster in a store in Glasgow around 15yrs ago and the sales patter was centred on how unusually heavy it was, therefore must have exceptional sustain.

btw- this thread wasn’t intended to go down the weight rabbit hole, just interested from a dealer perspective given all the photos appearing.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    I can answer your question from a maker point of view... customers who come to me do sometimes have a preference re the weight but mainly it’s about the finish and other details. I’ve found that weight can sometimes be a factor if the guitar is for extensive live use but most of the time if the guitar is attractive then weight is sidelined. But as you mentioned, I list weights, wood type, colour, pickup configuration etc in my body adverts. For 5 mins of work it saves answering countless messages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23151
    Whenever there's a discussion about guitar weights on here it's pretty clear that some prefer light, many don't care and some actively seek out heavy.

Seems to me that putting the weights on websites benefits everyone, buyers and sellers.  Those that don't care can simply ignore that one picture.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I can answer your question from a maker point of view... customers who come to me do sometimes have a preference re the weight but mainly it’s about the finish and other details. I’ve found that weight can sometimes be a factor if the guitar is for extensive live use but most of the time if the guitar is attractive then weight is sidelined. But as you mentioned, I list weights, wood type, colour, pickup configuration etc in my body adverts. For 5 mins of work it saves answering countless messages.
    Interesting, thanks.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    tFB Trader
    As well as being useful to some prospective buyers who may have a preference, it also helps reduce having stuff returned under DSRs as the customer is disappointed by the weight of the guitar one way or another.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • It's relatively easy to increase sustain on a lighter instrument.. a thin veneer of snake oil on the finish will do the trick...
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    I quite like the thing that Wildwood guitars (in the States) do on their website, where you see both the weight and the neck measurements at the 1st and 12th frets.

Its a bit nerdy, I know, but if, for example, I buy a Gibson with a slim taper I can pick the one that’s thickest.....  as someone who generally prefers slightly thicker necks (but wouldn’t turn down a specific model if it had a slim taper) that sort of info can be helpful. 

To be honest, the online market could probably use this kind of info in the UK, it would be interesting to see all of this detail on a site for instruments above a certain value, I then think they’d see less DSR returns and hopefully more sales altogether, justifying the time taken to list this stuff.
    I quite like the thing that Wildwood guitars (in the States) do on their website, where you see both the weight and the neck measurements at the 1st and 12th frets.

Its a bit nerdy, I know, but if, for example, I buy a Gibson with a slim taper I can pick the one that’s thickest.....  as someone who generally prefers slightly thicker necks (but wouldn’t turn down a specific model if it had a slim taper) that sort of info can be helpful. 

To be honest, the online market could probably use this kind of info in the UK, it would be interesting to see all of this detail on a site for instruments above a certain value, I then think they’d see less DSR returns and hopefully more sales altogether, justifying the time taken to list this stuff.
    Agree, my preferences are similar and I like what Wildwood are doing for the same reason.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    With a bass, weight has nowt to do with sound and everything to do with a dodgy shoulder after a bad dislocation from 20 years ago..,
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24660
    With a bass, weight has nowt to do with sound and everything to do with a dodgy shoulder after a bad dislocation from 20 years ago..,
    Yup.

Total of 5 hernia repairs for me.

I won’t even consider it if it’s over 8.5 lb, and ideally I want it under 8.

My Sandberg is 6.8 lb. Sounds like what it is, a superbly built super jazz.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    edited May 2019
    TINMAN82 said:

Agree, my preferences are similar and I like what Wildwood are doing for the same reason.
    Wildwood is the best online resource for Gibson neck specs full stop. Great to see the variety across a particular model.  The fact that the weight and neck specs are listed on the main page is really cool too, you can see all the info at a glance, no need to click through to each item
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23151
    roberty said:
    Wildwood is the best online resource for Gibson neck specs full stop. 
    Agreed, especially since Gibson's own website is pretty hopeless.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    When buying online I welcome as much information as possible regarding weight, neck dimensions etc. No amount of written speciations can beat actually playing the real thing but as real bricks and mortar shops slowly disappear they’re a great help .
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14430
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Have to go back in time to when I first started supplying weight and neck measurements on my web listings and at least 10 years ago - I think it started purely as a response to many e-mails asking about such criteria - So better to list as much as I can etc before hand

Not sure how much of a sales aid it is, certainly regarding say C/Shop Fenders, where the large majority sit in a 7lbs 4oz to 7lbs and 12oz criteria - IMO no one guitar is better for weighing 2 or 3oz lighter - There is a ball park of acceptability, but weight alone does not make the guitar better/worse

My selection of guitars is to diverse to say weight alone is a key criteria - After all I would not expect to find any/many light 70's LP Custom's - Equally I've just acquired a PRS Hollowbody that is not even 6lbs - As such I list as much info as I can and leave you, the customer, to decide what influences you - Then answer any additional specific enquiries as required

Easy for me as I have the guitar in front of me, but if I'm evaluating a C/Shop Strat, then weight and colour is bottom of my list -  Feel, playability and tone take preference, yet these are the assets you can't evaluate from looking at my web info

Weight variations are obvious to the same make/model - But even the same spec'd neck can have a +/- variation - A 60's C/Shop neck profile is listed on their site as .790" to 930" - Yet in reality many are a touch larger say .810" to .950" when you actually measure them - So I quote the info I acquire and not a spec sheet - IMO it is me offering a differential of an actual hands on evaluation v a member of staff, in the IT department, copying the info of the manufactures web site and posting it on to their site - Cut n paste Amazon style
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    Whitecat said:
    Have to go back in time to when I first started supplying weight and neck measurements on my web listings and at least 10 years ago - I think it started purely as a response to many e-mails asking about such criteria - So better to list as much as I can etc before hand

Not sure how much of a sales aid it is, certainly regarding say C/Shop Fenders, where the large majority sit in a 7lbs 4oz to 7lbs and 12oz criteria - IMO no one guitar is better for weighing 2 or 3oz lighter - There is a ball park of acceptability, but weight alone does not make the guitar better/worse

My selection of guitars is to diverse to say weight alone is a key criteria - After all I would not expect to find any/many light 70's LP Custom's - Equally I've just acquired a PRS Hollowbody that is not even 6lbs - As such I list as much info as I can and leave you, the customer, to decide what influences you - Then answer any additional specific enquiries as required

Easy for me as I have the guitar in front of me, but if I'm evaluating a C/Shop Strat, then weight and colour is bottom of my list -  Feel, playability and tone take preference, yet these are the assets you can't evaluate from looking at my web info

Weight variations are obvious to the same make/model - But even the same spec'd neck can have a +/- variation - A 60's C/Shop neck profile is listed on their site as .790" to 930" - Yet in reality many are a touch larger say .810" to .950" when you actually measure them - So I quote the info I acquire and not a spec sheet - IMO it is me offering a differential of an actual hands on evaluation v a member of staff, in the IT department, copying the info of the manufactures web site and posting it on to their site - Cut n paste Amazon style
    Great responses, thanks.