Is it a good idea? Yey, nay?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19014
    Yup.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Yes, they give you a nice thick sound with plenty of clarity. I prefer them to humbuckers.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5297
    yep especially the neck imo
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14578
    robgilmo said:
    Is it a good idea?
    Hell, yeah! 

Crank up yo’ valve amplifier to saturated overdrive. Ride the guitar’s volume and tone controls and use playing dynamics to extract a wide variety of sounds.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11989
    yes, and you especially need a lot of clarity if you are using your fingers rather than a pick
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Give goldfoils a shot too... made famous by Mr. Cooder I believe but with good reason...
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    most certainly yes - I have an old Yamaha SG500 specially set up for slide with heavier strings and a raised action and I put Bareknucle Manhattans in it [a low output hum bucker sized P90] and it sings :) ...
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13960
    edited May 2019
    I got my cousins kids round but after a couple fo goes in the garden they said that the P90 is too short to make an effective slide.

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Yes.    I've been  getting into lap steel lately and while waiting for delivery of an actual lap steel guitar(nobody stocks them!?) I bought a "nut extender"(insert bawdy jokes here) and put it on a copy of an LP  Junior with a P90 .  It sounds great.  To calm the wilder imaginations out there I include some stock photos of this simple, cheap device.    I also put a set of C6 steel guitar strings on it(tuning:  CEGACE)  as a standard set of guitar strings wouldn't take well to this tuning.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Check out Joey Landreth. Goldtop  with P90s. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10725
    tFB Trader
    My favorite pickups for slide are P90s or Firebird pickups ... clarity and growl. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3604
    Thanks guys, I'm looking for something to set up as a dedicated slide guitar so this narrows it down some. Epi LP's with P90's are looking like the one.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.