Which Bender?

What's Hot
PablocrackersPablocrackers Frets: 181
edited May 2019 in FX
Hey looking for recomendations for a quality Tone Bender pedal im after the tones from A Girl like you - Edwyn Collins. Ta. Pete
https://youtu.be/6oqJ0JpMj6I

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12991
    A Girl Like You is basically a Jumbo Tonebender which is quite different to what most people mean when they say Tonebender fuzzes. 

@juansolo made me one, its phenomenal. 
  • PablocrackersPablocrackers Frets: 181
    Bum fuzz!!!  £350 squid tho!!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    The Jumbo Tonebender is actually more similar to a Big Muff than an earlier Tonebender really. It doesn’t have the first set of clipping diodes or the final output transistor, but otherwise the basic layout is the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I like Muffs but i always think of Smashing Pumkins tone for those they never seem to go gnarly out of control spitty type fuzz im after a fuzz thats small form factor can get abit crazy i sold my fuzz pedals ☹️
    I like Muffs but i always think of Smashing Pumkins tone for those they never seem to go gnarly out of control spitty type fuzz im after a fuzz thats small form factor can get abit crazy i sold my fuzz pedals ☹️
    The Smashing Pumpkins fuzz is actually an Integrated Circuit Big Muff :) - AKA Op-Amp Big Muff - which is quite different-sounding from the original discrete-transistor Big Muff.

The original Big Muff isn't the same as the B&M, but it's closer than a 'normal' Tonebender.

If you want a small form factor the current mini Triangle Big Muff might be the closest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17823
    tFB Trader
    I'm not sure what it's based on but the white atom can get quite spitty like that.

I'm pondering selling mine.
    White atom does sound like a cool fuzz for sure 
    thanks for the input icbm
    dunno kinda thinking ramble twin bender or the solar bender maybe JHS do one as well 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31812
    I probably shouldn't say this because I do occasional work for Colorsound, but I get closer to A Girl Like You tone with a Joyo Voodoo Fuzz...
    Interesting ill take a look thx
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited May 2019
    A Girl Like You is basically a Jumbo Tonebender which is quite different to what most people mean when they say Tonebender fuzzes. 

A Girl Like You is a B&M Fuzz Unit which is essentially a Jumbo Tonebender with two component changes (the one I made UnclePsychosis has a switch on it that flips between Fuzz Unit and Jumbo. The Fuzz Unit is a little more scooped). As ICBM said the JTB is a 3/4 muff in topology terms, but it does have a really rather marvellous sound.

Even when Colorsound were still making tonebenders, the supply of decent Ge Transistors wasn't great, hence as time went on the Tonbenders changed to be less and less reliant on them.
    juansolo said:

made UnclePsychosis has a switch on it that flips between Fuzz Unit and Jumbo. The Fuzz Unit is a little more scooped). As ICBM said the JTB is a 3/4 muff in topology terms, but it does have a really rather marvellous sound.
    Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried taking the first diode pair out of a Muff? I haven't...

(I've got a original triangle Big Muff here, but I think its owner would be rather unhappy if I used it as the test case!)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    juansolo said:

A Girl Like You is a B&M Fuzz Unit which is essentially a Jumbo Tonebender with two component changes (the one I made UnclePsychosis has a switch on it that flips between Fuzz Unit and Jumbo. The Fuzz Unit is a little more scooped). As ICBM said the JTB is a 3/4 muff in topology terms, but it does have a really rather marvellous sound.

Even when Colorsound were still making tonebenders, the supply of decent Ge Transistors wasn't great, hence as time went on the Tonbenders changed to be less and less reliant on them.
    Cool! Do you still make these? Are they the huge enclosure? If i could get a pedal with that tone in a normal size enclosure and around £150 would be perfect!
    DannyP said:
    That's not the same as the Fuzz Unit / JTB circuit. 
    DannyP said:
    That's a Tone Bender MkIII, which is not a Jumbo Tone Bender.

@Pablocrackers mine looks like this so definitely "normal" enclosure.

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Big Knob do a Jumbo Tone Bender clone at a reasonable price...

edited May 2019
    Thanks guys, listening to that demo of the bigknob pedal i can hear the big muff in it as you said!
    Any demos of your pedal anywhere @unclephychosis thanks man & nice art work!
    No I've not got any demos sorry. Juansolo might, though.