Les Paul Neck Tone Pot Not working

jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 819
edited May 2019 in Making & Modding
Would someone please advise me as to why the neck tone pot on my Les Paul is not working? I've wired it exactly the same as the bridge tone control, which works fine.

Thought it might be a faulty cap - changed the cap, still no joy...

The third terminal is connected to earth - not visible in the pic.

I've checked and there are no dry solder joints

The pot itself seems to be working - I tested it with a multimeter (in situ as soldered). When I turn the pot, the resistance does drop slowly down to 0.

Expert opinions deeply appreciated...

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/x8IxUe1.jpg)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 819
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    May I suggest ripping it all out and going with a 50’s wiring loom and ditching the coil taps etc
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    How and where is the offending tone pot chassis grounded?

Test for continuity between the metal exterior of the push-pull pot and a permanent ground point, such as another pot chassis or the output jack socket.

The anti-corrosion coating on those pots can be a PITA when soldering. I always scratch through it to ensure a reliable connection.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
     What did you think of the multimeter pictures? 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    The pot looks to be faulty, it's showing open circuit (well, >2MΩ) between the outer contacts. Unless it's no-load pot?

You are measuring the wrong side in the second picture.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    What Steve just said. Check the other pair of contacts.

Also what Funkfingers said - where is the pot chassis grounded to? I can’t see in the pic.

An occasional problem with push-pulls is a poor electrical connection between the two parts of the casing, even though both are metal and they appear to be in contact via the crimp tabs. If everything else seems to be ok, check that and if necessary solder a short wire between the two.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

It does indeed appear to be faulty. (It’s not a no load pot Steve).

From terminal 1 - I had soldered a wire to the pot chassis, so it was very much grounded, and all four pot casings are linked to each other (Thanks Funkfingers).

The 2 separate parts of the pot casing (very relevant point John) - for this particular pot there is good electrical continuity.