Squier Affinity Tele - is it worth replacing the neck?

RockerRocker Frets: 4993
I have an old Squier Affinity Tele that got altered and upgraded over the years.  It now sports an Earvana nut and a pair of ex MIM Fender Tele pickups.  And an Electrosocket.  The guitar, along with an Aria TA-50 were my office guitars for years.

For some time the high E string was choking out at the eight fret.  It appeared that the neck is sensitive to moisture in the air.  Some days it choked out, others it worked fine.  Now the choking out has spread to the B string at the eight fret.  Not great when two strings go quiet....

My question is: is it worth the effort replacing the neck?  Or is a better option to salvage what parts might be useful and bin the guitar.  The body itself is like chipboard, the finish is Red paint.  I just have not got the space to hang it on the wall - if it is to be kept, it has to earn its keep by being played.  As it is, it is not 100% playable so it is gathering dust.

Advice please from the experts.  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Tap the 9th fret down with the handle of a screw driver or similar, might just rescue the situation without any major work.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    I found the affinity a nice guitar after a fret level .I also had a set of pickups to put in and it was a nice guitar .Wish i had kept it .perfectly decent player  .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    As Maynehead said, I would check that it isn't just the 9th fret coming loose first. If it is, it's fairly easy to fix with some superglue even if tapping it down doesn't fix it.

If it's not the fret but is an actual problem with the neck, I would salvage the hardware, bin the rest and get another guitar - the body isn't worth spending a lot of money on a new neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• alexhalexh Frets: 58
    Switch the parts you like into a new body and neck, either a standard squier or a parts build.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4957
    I've had a couple of Squier Affinity Strats and they are remarkably good guitars for the money (£50-100).

If you were to put a replacement neck on it, you could always part it out if you ever decided to sell it.