Strange noise after getting Tele pickguard shielded

BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2236
Hello all,

I took my Classic Series 50s Tele in to get the pickguard shielded, because I was getting static noise every time I touched the pickguard and it was driving me bats.

Having had it done, I tried playing it, and there is still a small amount (albeit a lot less) of static when my fingers make contact with one area of the pickguard (about an inch below the strings about halfway between the pickups). On top of that, it’s developed another noise that sounds like the noise you used to get connecting to the internet with dial-up. I have a clip on my phone using Voice Memos, but not sure how to post it here. It’s not hugely loud but definitely noticeable at a variety of amp levels. I get this noise whether I’m going through my pedals or straight into the amp, and I tried my housemate’s Tokai strat into the amp, and no such noise so it doesn’t seem to be the amp.

Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    Take your phone out of your pocket and put it far away from your guitar, is the noise still there? Any electrical appliances on in the room that could be causing interference?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Did whoever shielded it actually connect the shielding to ground? There should be a piece of shielding foil on the body under the front end of the control plate and the cutout in the guard, preferably going as far one of the two nearest screws, since sometimes the guard can bow upwards a bit and not make a good contact.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2236
    edited May 2019
    Take your phone out of your pocket and put it far away from your guitar, is the noise still there? Any electrical appliances on in the room that could be causing interference?
    It was doing it when my phone wasn’t even in the room, though, so fact same noise. No other appliances I can think of causing it, and I don’t have dimmer switches for the lights in our house, which I’ve heard can cause strange, unwanted noises as well.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2236

ICBM said:
    Did whoever shielded it actually connect the shielding to ground? There should be a piece of shielding foil on the body under the front end of the control plate and the cutout in the guard, preferably going as far one of the two nearest screws, since sometimes the guard can bow upwards a bit and not make a good contact.
    I’m pretty sure he said he did, but I will have a look and see.