Pyramid Strings - differences between packs

What's Hot
GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
I’ve been using Pyramid strings almost exclusively for about 15 years now, and I love them.

What are the differences between the different coloured packs though?

I use the white pack with the dark green stripe, but the orange packed ones seem to be the same according to the blurb at stringsdirect.

Any idea?
I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19031
    Curses! You have uncovered the cunning Pyramid selling scheme.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6831
    All I know I used to use the blue ones but the orange ones are much nicer 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
    Nicer how?
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Are these acoustic or electric strings?
    Electric.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    Likewise puzzled. I’ve used orange and blue. Think I have some of the green. Are they all round nickel core with nickel wrap? There must be some difference.  Pyramids own website doesn’t help. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I found the blue packs suited me and some of my guitars years ago, I've stuck with what works rather than going down the rabbit hole of micro improvements. Must be about 100+ sets I've used now and I don't recall any duff strings, even from sets I've held in stock for a year!
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited May 2019
    I am another Pyramid fan, and as far as I can make out the biggest difference are as follows:

The ones in the blue pack use a standard-gauge hex core and are most likely tin plated.

The ones in the pack with the green stripe again use hex core, but the core wire is thinner than standard with a correspondingly thicker nickel wrap, and so these strings have less tension and marginally less output than the strings in the blue and orange packs. These strings are also silver plated.

The 'Nickel classics' in the orange pack use a round wire core, like the DR Pure Blues.

(They are all 'round wound', meaning the wrap, not the core.)

Right, I sent a message to StringsDirect, where I’ve been buying my strings for years.
    They got back to me quickly:

”Hi Martin, thanks for the message. There is a slight difference between the two sets. Both sets have a pure nickel wrap wire but the The strings in the green pack use a hex core whereas the orange pack sets have a round core. The hex core gives a slightly stiffer feel but a brighter tone and the orange pack will have a more flexible feel and be slightly warmer. Hope that helps. Thanks”
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited May 2019
    The strings in the green pack use a hex core whereas the orange pack sets have a round core. The hex core gives a slightly stiffer feel but a brighter tone and the orange pack will have a more flexible feel and be slightly warmer.
    That might be generally true, and true when comparing the blue pack strings to the ones in the orange pack, but for the strings in the packs with the green stripe Pyramid use a thinner hex core than is usual to compensate for the increased stiffness as compared to a round core string.

(Main downside of round core strings is that they need careful fitting if the wrap is not to slip and so screw up the intonation of the string.)
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6831
    Nicer how?
    Feel slinkier. Sound lovely. Last ages. Worth the £3 margin 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.