Epi 56 Standard Gold top?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3604
Anyone have/had one? Any thoughts on them? Im looking at a 2001 model P90.
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31673
    edited May 2019
    I'm really not generally a fan of Epi Les Pauls and am well known for being in love with my Gibson P90 goldtop, but I've never played a bad Epi '56. 

Judge each one on its merits, but generally it's one of those guitars they got right IME.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I've got a 2014 model with the PRO pickups. Nice fat neck which unfortunately doesn't suit me so I rarely play it.

Acoustically, it sounds a lot different to my other Epi Standard LP with a slimmer neck. More resonance and jangle. I put that down to the neck structure. The PRO pickups are spot on, I have had a Gibson P90 DC Special previously.

Mine is Chicago Blue and I paid £289 new from Coda. I think the low price was down to the faded top, it must have been in the shop window at some point.

Both my Epi LPs were made in China and I think the build quality is excellent. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I bought my oldest lad an Epi 56 goldtop about a dozen+ years ago. I fettled it a little to get a superb playing action, but otherwise it was stock. When he finally wanted to sell it and concentrate on girls/Computer games, I thought long and hard about keeping it because it was a really great guitar (not just for an Epiphone). In the end he sold it because I had a 335, Two Teles, a strat and an Aria, so had all the tone bases covered. It was a great guitar none the less and his mate got a bargain.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1761
    I had one. I sold It
    I'm a stupid man.

I wish i still had it...........
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543

@mbe - if you think of selling yours on, may I have 1st dibs please, as I've been looking for a blue one for a while? :)

Adam

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I ssooooo want a gold top:(
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I was after one around 12 months ago. Waited and bought a 2011 Gibson Les Paul Tribute with P 90’s from Reverb for £470. If I’d have bought the Epiphone over the Gibson I’d have regretted it. It’s one of my favourite guitars and I also own a Gibson 335 and a Gibson Les Paul trad. Save up some more and get a Gibson there’s quite a few of these about for sale.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3604
    markj said:
    I was after one around 12 months ago. Waited and bought a 2011 Gibson Les Paul Tribute with P 90’s from Reverb for £470. If I’d have bought the Epiphone over the Gibson I’d have regretted it. It’s one of my favourite guitars and I also own a Gibson 335 and a Gibson Les Paul trad. Save up some more and get a Gibson there’s quite a few of these about for sale.

For that money its a no brainer.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Some years ago I was looking for an Epiphone LP with P90s but Guitar Guitar had a load of new old stock 2013 Gibson Les Paul 50s Tributes with P90s on sale for £395 each. It was a no-brainer, the Gibbo is a great little guitar but I’d still like to try the Epiphone some time just to compare it to the Gibson.
    Some years ago I was looking for an Epiphone LP with P90s but Guitar Guitar had a load of new old stock 2013 Gibson Les Paul 50s Tributes with P90s on sale for £395 each. It was a no-brainer, the Gibbo is a great little guitar but I’d still like to try the Epiphone some time just to compare it to the Gibson.
    I’ll second that about the Gibson, I really love mine. There’s quite a few secondhand for sale on EBay / Reverb, the Goldtop ones command a higher price.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2533
    There was a tribute on here not long ago but budget wise it's a big step if the OP was looking at something more than half the price ..
    I think it’s still for sale here on the forum.
  • NeylusNeylus Frets: 62
    I had a '56 Epi Goldtop with P90s a few years ago, that I sold. I remember changing the pickups for Gibson P90s and it sounded great! Big chunky neck as well.
    Anyone know how the older Korean ones compare to the current ones? Usually found in Red or Blue?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16164
    I had a goldtop epi 56..........it was a great guitar
    Looks superb and a superb price. Full report when you get it.
    Decided to go down to the auction house on the off chance they were still open, and they were, just got back. So, just got back report is, it needs a good set up, relief is a little more than I would class as within normal limits, strings need changing, so I haven't properly played it yet, I will get to it later though. Neck feels really nice, fatter than my last Epi LP's but very comfy, its really nicely finished, no scratches or blemishes, Im a very happy chappy so far.

I did see this screw has either come lose or someone unscrewed it, silly question but is that just to hold the cover on?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    They hold the cover on and screw the pickup into the body
    This one is stuck fast, it doesnt want to move.