Any Merc C63/C43/full blown AMG owners on here?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Life is short......buy the car.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2440
    Don't regard it as an "investment", it'll still depreciate a lot. Try to weigh up how much it's going to cost (a lot) Vs the reason you're buying it.

If you're buying it for pure performance then the sad truth is that there's plenty of hot hatches there that'll keep up (a lightly tuned previous generation RS 3 for instance). It won't deliver the speed in the way a big V8 will but point to point it'll be as quick, and be a lot cheaper to run.

If you're buying it because it feels special when you drive it then that's fair enough, it's hard to quantify that or to content yourself if it's just not "there" in a car. Whether that's worth £5k a year in running costs (excluding depreciation) only you will know.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    I will never be able to afford any if the cars mentioned above - although I love the looks and enjoy driving cars in general. 
    Money that is needed to run any of these is crazy...
    If you fancy it and can afford it though? Get it. Otherwise you may regret it and be thinking "what if" for years to come.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    My CLK55AMG was so sensitive to fuel that I noticed rain would cut the MPG by c. 2 miles per gallon. I drove it from Barca to London once and keeping absolutely within the limits I managed about 24 MPG! I once burned a tank in 110 miles. But hell did it make a lovely noise.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Stevepage said:
    I’ve got an E63S. It’s jolly good fun. It’s the new 4.0 V8, rather than the 6.2 V8, but it still loves petrol just as much. I’ve had it just over a year, done 18,000 miles, and it hasn’t bankrupted me yet. 
    One of my dream cars. Lovely interior and quicker than most things you see on the road today. I'd only ever take a Range Rover SVR over it. But I cant afford either so I'll just keep dreaming 
    You know what, I like it but I don’t love it. Yes it’s fast, and the 4wd means you can go around corners at silly speeds, and can beat everything from a standing start, but it’s pretty sterile. It’s impossible to get in to trouble with it as the control systems are so good. There’s always drift mode, but that’s unusable unless you’re on a track, as it will shred the tires within minutes.

I preferred the older AMGs with the big block NA engines, RWD, and screaming exhausts. Chris Harris said in his review that the sound is more flat plane, like a V10, and I totally get where he was coming from. Turbochargers ruin V8s, and mine is no exception. 

The SVR is epic. I had that engine in my previous car, and it was provided just about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom