NGD - three blondes in a row....

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
Yeah, in your dreams you silly old git.   :'(

My son had mentioned to me that the 'guitar room' at home looked like a sea of sunburst, so I thought I'd have a look around and found a few things that weren't sunburst! I found all three at Sound Affects Premier in Ormskirk and fancied them all. One is  obviously an ES-335, with a lovely figured top, very pretty. It's got a very playable, not-too-chunky, matt neck which feels great. Actually, it's a great guitar, from the Memphis factory in 2018. The archtop is an Ibanez Pat Metheny PM-35, Chinese built. I didn't really give it much of a glance on the SAP website, and I suppose turned my nose up at it a bit if I'm honest, but when I picked it up, I loved it. The build quality's really good and it's SO smooth to play. I can't play jazz - I can turn a diminished into a demolished and an augmented into an argument, but that's about it.

It does tempt me to go down the 'smooooth' side of the street though, and can knock out a bit of blues/swing stuff. Very impressive, I must say. The third one's an Alvarez MF-1000. It's quite interesting in as much as it's Japanese built (Terada is the suggestion), the spec is impressive, and there were only about 40 of them made. I played it up against a used Martin 000-28, and it felt very similar in terms of quality, with a brighter sound (although the Martin's strings weren't new) and a lovely low action.

At about a third of the price of the used Martin, I couldn't really differentiate much between them, but my ears, although big, aren't very sophisticated. Feels and sounds great though, with a wide fretboard to help my trotters not to get too tangled up. A different set of purchases (apart from the 335 I suppose), but pleasing - and in the case of the Alvarez and Ibanez, pleasantly surprising. Expect to see them all for sale in two weeks.   ;)

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I managed to bag 2 blondes in a weekend but it was a long time ago. Shouldn't be proud but I am:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 851
    sawyer said:
    I managed to bag 2 blondes in a weekend but it was a long time ago. Shouldn't be proud but I am:)
    Is there a letter 'n' missing from the 4th word?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited May 2019
    If ya like. Either works:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grayngrayn Frets: 900
    Wow!  3 gorgeous guitars.
    I've always liked Alvarez / K'Yairi acoustics.  The Japanese models are underrated IMO.
    The 335 is stunning and the Metheny has just got to punch well above it's weight.
    Congrats.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Cheers, @grayn - yes, the Alvarez is a bit of a dark horse. It's difficult to get too much information, as there were only about 40 or so made of the MF-1000, but it's got a spruce top, Indian rosewood back and sides, ebony fretboard, Gotoh tuners, etc - quite an impressive spec. A little bonus is the passive pickup as well, so yes, it's a nice thing and I genuinely couldn't pick much difference between it and the Martin, apart from neck profile. I'll put the extra brightness down to the new strings. The Martin was nice, mind, but I also had 'budget' to think of, especially as I also picked up a s/h Blues Junior as a 'spare' amp for home. 

Call me Dave.
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 225
    That Ibanez PM-35 sounded excellent from over the hall in the PRS room, excellent playing as well!
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited May 2019
    You're too kind. MUCH too kind!  I had to try and throw in an Ab decimated and and a Db major disaster or two to try and convince that bloke in the PRS room (OK, you) that was playing some damn tasty licks on the Strat and making me a bit jealous that it wasn't the first time I'd ever seen a a guitar. Not sure it worked, mind. Good to meet you! 
    Call me Dave.