55 year old nitro.

What's Hot
musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
https://imgur.com/a/2gU1ebk

At this time of year, the nitro on the back of the neck of my SG gets so tacky it comes off in my hand. You can see from the video with the lightest pressure I could probably scrape it all off with my nail.

Is there any simple treatment to avoid this? It’s not kept in inappropriate conditions, I think it’s just the age. I was wondering if there’s an option better than just leaving it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Nitro softens as it warms up. There’s nothing to prevent this fact but could you keep it in a cooler place for the summer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    Is it definitely nitro, looks like wax.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19021

At this time of year, the nitro on the back of the neck of my SG gets so tacky it comes off in my hand. You can see from the video with the lightest pressure I could probably scrape it all off with my nail.

Is there any simple treatment to avoid this? It’s not kept in inappropriate conditions, I think it’s just the age. I was wondering if there’s an option better than just leaving it
    C'mon admit it.
    That's not wood, or nitro, it's just a nasty case of toenail fungus  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    Unfortunately it’s already in the coolest room in the house away from the window with the curtain drawn in the day and it does it if it’s in or out the case. It’s only the back of the neck that does this. So assume it’s to do with oil from my hands potentially?

C'mon admit it.
    That's not wood, or nitro, it's just a nasty case of toenail fungus  ;)
    Nah, my toenail fungus is only 42 years old.
    Jokes aside, I have old pure nitro finish guitars that are still crackling, but 'hard'.
    I wonder if it might be the wood type, seasoning, under lacquer paint or other treatments?

Over to the more experienced FB'ers to find the true answers.
    Good luck.
    JezWynd said:
    Is it definitely nitro, looks like wax.
    It is
    https://imgur.com/a/xbMx0ys
    It’s about the same consistency as a candle in some parts. 
    If it helps. It’s an old Gibson SG. 
    Shocking build quality and cheap Honduran or Brazilian wood at the time no doubt :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7081
    tFB Trader
     So assume it’s to do with oil from my hands potentially?
    Yes I think it's reacted with something. Lacquer should not be soft in normal conditions.

I'm afraid that the only thing is to strip and refinish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    I think that's been sanded down and oversprayed with something that may not be nitro, and which may have reacted with it to produce a soft mush. The red dye fades out and the checking stops halfway up the neck, and where the light reflection is on it, it looks like the surface finish is over the checking.

Whichever it is, SteveRobinson is right - you'll need to strip it all off back to the wood and refinish the whole neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I wouldn’t need sandpaper to remove it it’s that tacky in parts. I think it may be the original stuff though. The dye has reacted the same way in other parts without the same issue. The checking continues a bit further up too, just out of shot
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Looks like someone covered it in very old rattle can gloss  clear back when it was real nitro in the cans  .This contained plasticisers that stopped the paint hardening .Nitro never goes completely off but should be better than that . Chuck it out and buy a Strat
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    rossi said:
    Looks like someone covered it in very old rattle can gloss  clear back when it was real nitro in the cans  .This contained plasticisers that stopped the paint hardening .Nitro never goes completely off but should be better than that . Chuck it out and buy a Strat
    Ooft! A tad harsh when someone is concerned about their guitar? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Great. I’ll show Rossi’s post as justification to the wife after I’ve bought another strat.
    I’m pretty sure it’s not been refinished there’s bits on the front where the dye has faded the same way but just not gone tacky. 

There’s also bits where it hasn’t fade and has gone tacky.

you can see some of the bigger cracks run through old unfaded parts of the original finish with the nitro really solid and the same cracks continue through faded bits where the finish has gone tacky
    Does anyone here know of anyone near to @musteatbrain that could help?
    I mean, just with the guitar.
    Not being judgemental of lifestyle choices, but the brain eating thing deserves to be marginalised  :o
    Veganism is definitely the thing  :)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    That's some thick coating of some sort, looks bloody horrible and I'd strip that off, you might get away with sanding most of that off just depends how much is on there

I have fresh laquer that's better than that
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    Each to their own. I think it looks great and on other days it’s solid enough to not come off so easy
    https://imgur.com/a/0vSgnWO
    This probably does it more justice
    the top of the guitar has faded the same way.
    steve is local.
    thanks @Kittyfrisk ;;
    I might drop in after pay day
    despite the name... I rarely eat brains... although I do more often than I eat vegan food

Each to their own. I think it looks great and on other days it’s solid enough to not come off so easy
    https://imgur.com/a/0vSgnWO
    This probably does it more justice
    the top of the guitar has faded the same way.
    steve is local.
    thanks @Kittyfrisk ;;
    I might drop in after pay day
    despite the name... I rarely eat brains... although I do more often than I eat vegan food

I've fallen for that line before. I'm now running on my spare brain ( pays to think a head).
    Hope you get your SG sorted.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PS  https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?175852-Solution-for-soft-nitro
    That's my impartial, uninformed attempt to help.

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    Are you sure it’s not just grime you’re scratching off? I think if you used a decent guitar cleaning product like Virtuoso cleaner and polish you’d get it all off with a bit of elbow grease and back to the original finish.