Advice on an ergonomic guitar

What's Hot
Hello,

I have been playing for a year and a half now and have had an Epiphone G400 Pro for the last 8 months and I am finding it really uncomfortable to play for more than half an hour. Open chords are a long stretch for my left arm due to the way he SG is configured but worse is the horrendous neck dive when playing standing up. I always seem to have neck and shoulder pain.

So I have decided to treat myself to a new guitar and wanted to hear your views and experiences please.

I don't have a huge budget, looking to spend no more than £700. My initial thoughts were a Strat or maybe an Ibanez but not sure which would be better.

If you can share your wisdom it would be appreciated

Thanks
Chris
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11991
    Do you know what is wrong with your shoulder(s)?
    Are you aware that Subacromial compression is one of the commonest problems people have (causes shoulder pain)

The lightest guitars are hollowbodies and Steinbergers, also Forshage has a dedicated ergonomic guitar, the expert on these is @octatonic ;

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4159
    If you want something really light that's fabulously easy to play I can really recommend the Ibanez S521.

It's incredibly thin and light and my go-to guitar when my shoulder is aching.

https://www.ibanez.com/na/products/detail/s521_03.html

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19021
    Hi Chris.
    Have you thought about trying some different styles & models in the toon, say at Windows or Guitar Guitar?
    Personally I hate trying out in public, but it might give you a chance to find something new.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Don't you play a SG slighty over your hip to help with ergonomics. I seem to recall @stickyfiddle said something along those lines (I could be massively wrong)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Hi Chris.
    Have you thought about trying some different styles & models in the toon, say at Windows or Guitar Guitar?
    Personally I hate trying out in public, but it might give you a chance to find something new.
    As a learner, I’m not confident doing that. I probably should but it wouldn’t be easy.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9742
    SGs can be prone to neck dive - unfortunately  it's the nature of the beast.

I'm guessing that 'uncomfortable to play' is nothing to do with weight but everything to do with the geometry and balance of the instrument?

If you're finding open chords a long stretch,  have  you tried shortening the strap? Also, how about something  like a Jaguar or Mustang. Both comfortable, well-balanced, and 24" scale? No long stretches with either.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    I didn't like the way sg's play but since i made my dc junior i found playing it more round the side standing up makes it much easier and I'm guessing it would be the same for an sg now
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    I agree with your assessment - having recently had one 'passing through' briefly, the G400 is horrendously unergonomic, worse than most SGs I can remember - I don't really know why, but it's even more neck-heavy and awkward than usual.

Do you want another two-humbucker guitar? If so, a PRS SE Custom 22 is very well-balanced and just about within your budget new. (Personally I don't like the Custom 24, the neck is an inch 'further to the left'.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    Strat. Most comfortable guitar out there. Get one with humbuggies if you don't want single coils.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    What did you play prior to the SG? 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Strandberg's are the best thing ever.
  • If you want something really light that's fabulously easy to play I can really recommend the Ibanez S521.

It's incredibly thin and light and my go-to guitar when my shoulder is aching.

https://www.ibanez.com/na/products/detail/s521_03.html
    That seems to tick all the right boxes, looks perfect. Thanks for the heads up
    Glad that you seem to be on track to a solution.
    I was going to suggest that I could could easily let you try any of my guitars to see how they feel (I travel past Newcastle a lot).
    Then I realised that most of my guitars are not easily purchasable, so I might be sending you on another wild guitar chase.
    Try out some current brands like @Grumpyrocker suggests, Ibanez or maybe Squier Classic Vibes.
    You'll get there  :)
  • Glad that you seem to be on track to a solution.
    I was going to suggest that I could could easily let you try any of my guitars to see how they feel (I travel past Newcastle a lot).
    Then I realised that most of my guitars are not easily purchasable, so I might be sending you on another wild guitar chase.
    Try out some current brands like @Grumpyrocker suggests, Ibanez or maybe Squier Classic Vibes.
    You'll get there  :)
    Thanks, appreciate it 
    If you want to try any of the guitar styles/types that I have (most types covered), just drop me a pm or post here & I'll see what we can sort out.
    It's no problem, I'm happy to help out if possible.
    If not, I hope you find your perfect guitar for you.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 611
    If you want a very light guitar with lots of tones, try a FretKing similar to the one I bought and then sold here:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140767/sold-pending-fret-king-country-squire-semitone-a-bargain-price#latest

Any of the thinline Telecasters are usually quite light.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27253
    Don't you play a SG slighty over your hip to help with ergonomics. I seem to recall @stickyfiddle said something along those lines (I could be massively wrong)
    Yeah, this is something you get used to with SG - if you try and have the body centred against your own body everything this very “left shifted” which feels weird. 

That said. Epi SGs tend to be worse for some reason, and almost always have worse neck dive than almost all Gibson SGs - I guess they use denser wood for the necks?

Anyway, a Strat or Jazzmaster or Jaguar is a much more ergonomic guitar than pretty much any Gibson style.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595

Steinberger

They look nothing like a traditional guitar, but everything is included for a lightweight small guitar.

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1323
    Axis super sport / Axis would be a cure for ya. Size wise most ergonomic guitar I've ever played.
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1734
    KrisGee said:
    Axis super sport / Axis would be a cure for ya. Size wise most ergonomic guitar I've ever played.
    The first guitars I thought of were Music Man guitars - I've owned a few late 80s and early 90's Silhouettes, including currently an oldish 5 bolt Floyd Rose Equipped HSH guitar, and to be fair, its sooooo comfortable to play compact and just great all round. If you look carefully, you might find one for around £700 used if you can wait a bit.

I'm not so keen on the more recent Silhouettes or Specials based on the fact I want these to have heavy birdseye figured necks and fingerboards, and nicely grained ash or alder bodies, but thats me.

Music Man Guitars - great!

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.