NGSGD

What's Hot
danbandanban Frets: 343
edited May 2019 in Guitar
Happy new Gordon Smith Guitar Day to me!

Picked up a cracking new custom spec Gordon Smith!

Spec:
Ebony Stain over white grain filled mahogany with a clear gloss laquer all over, Thick Body, P90 pickup,Thick neck profile, African mahogany neck and body, Indian rosewood fingerboard, locking machineheads, Tuneomatic bridge and tailpiece (Instead of wraparound bridge) Brass nut and a Hardcase to boot. Originally spec’d with a black scratchplate but changed to Tortoiseshell guard at the last minute at no extra cost.

It plays and sounds superb, I can’t believe how well built these Auden Era Gordon Smiths are, Blown away is an unstatement.

I have a funny feelin I won’t be bothering with other manufacturers when you can have something custom built so competitively prices to other manufacturers.

Sure...I’ll probably upgrade the pickup and harness at some point but for what you get for your money is incredible.

First picture is of the guitar and the next is alongside my 65 Gibson Sg.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    Nice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grayngrayn Frets: 900
    Lovely GS.
    I have an Auden GS Graduate and love everything about it.
    What is it about the pickup that makes you want to replace it?
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    edited May 2019
    grayn said:
    Lovely GS.
    I have an Auden GS Graduate and love everything about it.
    What is it about the pickup that makes you want to replace it?

Don’t get me wrong it’s a great sounding pickup, I’m just looking for a little more note clarity/definition on gainer settings.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    For clarity, definition and a more Gibson-like tone, consider a Seymour Duncan Antiquity.

For outright power and overdriven filth, consider the Bare Knuckle Pickups 'Pig90.

(Other British makers are available and can probably accommodate your requirements.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Lovely guitar, it must be fate seeing this thread as I was just contemplating spec'ing my own GS1 with the money I saved having to come back from my holiday early....hmmm
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Could be my bad here...but the SG: Shouldn't a 1965 Special have the small pickguard (could have been swapped, bridge likewise would have thought you might want the 60s style for the bridge being straight rather than offset as per 50s) and a gold silkscreen logo (plus the o is rather odd) - could be lighting or angle of the photo. Could just be me missing something!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    Lovely 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23151
    The new GS guitars seemed to get mixed reviews initially but I've heard nothing but good things since.  I like the way they've made them just a little bit neater and tidier but haven't really changed the designs.
    Could be my bad here...but the SG: Shouldn't a 1965 Special have the small pickguard (could have been swapped, bridge likewise would have thought you might want the 60s style for the bridge being straight rather than offset as per 50s) and a gold silkscreen logo (plus the o is rather odd) - could be lighting or angle of the photo. Could just be me missing something!
    Well spotted, the sg is one hell of a basket case.
    It started life as a junior and has had the hell played out of it. It’s had a headstock break repair in the 70s, neck reset, respray, currently on its 4th set of frets etc and turned into a special along the way!

The bridge pickup and lower vol/tone pots and capacitor are original on it but I got it for one heck of deal a few years ago and was my number one. 

Fundimentally its a junior but or but I just refer to it as an Sg in general.

zepp76 said:
    Lovely guitar, it must be fate seeing this thread as I was just contemplating spec'ing my own GS1 with the money I saved having to come back from my holiday early....hmmm
    All it took me was a to visit their base which is 30 minutes from where I live and spend 4 hours there including playing many guitars, meeting the whole team and the factory tour.

Everyone there was lovely and I couldn’t be made to feel so welcome.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23151
    danban said:
    It started life as a junior and has had the hell played out of it. It’s had a headstock break repair in the 70s, neck reset, respray, currently on its 4th set of frets etc and turned into a special along the way!

The bridge pickup and lower vol/tone pots and capacitor are original on it but I got it for one heck of deal a few years ago and was my number one. 

I did wonder about the lack of binding on the neck.
  • danban said:
    Could be my bad here...but the SG: Shouldn't a 1965 Special have the small pickguard (could have been swapped, bridge likewise would have thought you might want the 60s style for the bridge being straight rather than offset as per 50s) and a gold silkscreen logo (plus the o is rather odd) - could be lighting or angle of the photo. Could just be me missing something!

So long as you know, the price was right and it plays sweetly then good stuff! Just didn't want to be the one giving bad news that things were a bit off on it. The point on bridges still stands though - check the intonation on it. Although if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14430
    tFB Trader
    For clarity, definition and a more Gibson-like tone, consider a Seymour Duncan Antiquity.

agree on the Antiquity - Or try the Bare Knuckle Nantucket - I have the latter on a Feline DC Lion and seriously rate it  - Vintage flavoured with a touch of extra spice - with a good taper on the vol + tone pot, subtle tweaks on the pots deliver effective changes
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2963
    Happy NGD!

I've been very pleased with the GS1000 I bought last year - as you say, what you get for your money is incredible. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    danban said:

So long as you know, the price was right and it plays sweetly then good stuff! Just didn't want to be the one giving bad news that things were a bit off on it. The point on bridges still stands though - check the intonation on it. Although if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    In regards to the bridge the intonation, it’s spot on as it’s a Faber Tonebar and locking posts supplied from Fretboards very own Streethawk to trial out.

I must say I’m impressed with the hardware as the badass bridge that came on it was a pos!
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    Nice guitar there man!
    Regarding the P90 , do you find it particularly noisy? I’ve a GS1 that’s lovely to play but is noisier than I’d like. Are the Seymour Duncan and Bareknuckle suggestions above noiseless? 
    1979 said:
    Nice guitar there man!
    Regarding the P90 , do you find it particularly noisy? I’ve a GS1 that’s lovely to play but is noisier than I’d like. Are the Seymour Duncan and Bareknuckle suggestions above noiseless? 
    Thanks fella, I don’t the pickup any noiser than other p90s out there. They’re pretty synonymous with a bit of hum, like strat and tele pickups.
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    I suppose it comes with the territory..nice guitars though aren’t they?

edited May 2019
    1979 said:
    I suppose it comes with the territory..nice guitars though aren’t they?

It certainly does, Can’t believe the quality for the price point. I think this might be the first of many....to think I nearly bought a 2019 Gibson Les Paul Junior instead. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3277
    Looks great that. Hngd.
    What’s the neck profile like?