Removing paint from a guitar flight case...

What's Hot
I have an old guitar flight case, it's covered in some form of Tolex, and has the band name "The Bible" painted on it.  I'd like to try and remove the paint, but any ideas what might work without wrecking the Tolex?

my trading feedback HERE
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    Have you considered "disguising" the existing graffito by adding to it?

Fun/provocative stencilling options include;
    • Ignore
    • Burn
    • I wouldn't wipe my arse on
    It is inevitable that, the moment you dissolve away the paint, there will be a revival in the fortunes of Hewerdine and his former band. Overnight, the case would suddenly be worth a fortune ... if only somebody had not cleaned it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 55
     =) 

Stickers of some sort are my (probably inevitable) plan B.
    my trading feedback HERE
  • MoonrunnerMoonrunner Frets: 23
    I don't know if fine grit sand paper would work on this? Maybe wire wool? Not sure how that would affect the tolex. Maybe try surgical spirit which is called something else in the US and I forget - isopropyl alcohol? 

Failing that - maybe spray a pentagram over the text! :D :D :D 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Have you considered "disguising" the existing graffito by adding to it?

Fun/provocative stencilling options include;
    • Ignore
    • Burn
    • I wouldn't wipe my arse on
    It is inevitable that, the moment you dissolve away the paint, there will be a revival in the fortunes of Hewerdine and his former band. Overnight, the case would suddenly be worth a fortune ... if only somebody had not cleaned it.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Boo Hewerdine might buy it back out of nostalgia or perhaps there’s some value for a fan?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited May 2019
    black fabric paint?  plasticote rattle can?
     might work

have u tried a dab of thinners? I doubt that would eat thru tolex instantly 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    MLten80 said:
    black fabric paint?  plasticote rattle can?
     might work

have u tried a dab of thinners? I doubt that would eat thru tolex instantly 
    Good idea to over paint it, I hadn't considered that, thanks.

I haven't tried thinners, as I'm nervous about making it a bigger problem.
    my trading feedback HERE
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I would probably just paint a white block over each word.

Or cover in sticky-backed plastic. Or Gorilla Tape/Gaffa.

I got carpeted subs with BPM in yellow spray paint on the carpet. It looks like we're a gay rock band.
    roberty said:
    Reminds me of some hard hat graffiti seen on an oil refinery turnaround.

Whilst a welder was busy, wearing his screen, a colleague used permanent marker to scrawl, "I love cock" on the welder's hard hat. Upon discovery, this was immediately converted to, "I love cooking".
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    Don't do that, The Bible - assuming it is actually them, and not some other impostors - are quite a cult band. If you don't like it you would be much better to sell the case to a fan and buy a new one - you'll probably come out ahead.

http://www.thebibletheband.com

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    I agree, a known band is at least a talking point, if not a financial bonus (albeit a small one at best).

I acquired a case with a badly done unknown teenage band name on it and tried to take it off with solvent. It was unsuccessful, only managing to smear the entire case in a cloudy white smudge, and possibly damaging the plastic (it was ABS, not tolex.)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited May 2019
    How about this? I suppose Tolex is a Plastic ish fabric covering, this might disolve the paint without damaging the Tolex?

https://www.emodels.co.uk/modelstrip-plastic-model-paint-stripper-modstr01.html

I used some to restore an old clear, back painted car badge and it worked a treat..

If you are going to do it, its gotta be worth a try for £6, from modelshops that sell Airfix type kits....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

ICBM said:
    Don't do that, The Bible - assuming it is actually them, and not some other impostors - are quite a cult band. If you don't like it you would be much better to sell the case to a fan and buy a new one - you'll probably come out ahead.

Might be worth trying to contact the band or its representatives. If possible, obtain confirmation that the case was once their property.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    Sell it to Essex Recording Studios.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    Black gaffer tape is your answer. 
    ICBM said:

I went with your advice, it's now for sale in the Parts forum

my trading feedback HERE