Tele with single pickup, wiring?

What's Hot
I'm getting reacquainted with Telecasters, and find that I prefer to stay on the bridge pickup, and use the tone control.  I have some loose plans around modding, or building a new Tele, so wondering If I should just remove the switch, or maybe wire it up with a "preset" tonal option or two.

I know that the old Esquire has similar, although I seem to recall that this gives a muffled tone in at least one position.  Anyone been here, and done this?  Curious to hear peoples experiences and views on this...
my trading feedback HERE
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    edited May 2019
    The vintage Fender Esquire circuit does, indeed, offer muffled, regular with tone control and tone control bypassed.

Other possibilities exist. The Eldred mod replaces the muffled "bass tone" network with a preset midrange notch filtering network. The result resembles the sound of playing through a cocked wah pedal. 

If you only ever use one pickup and both pots, the three-way lever switch could select capacitor values to operate with the tone control.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    I find the switch gets in the way and I don't find any of the switching options useful, so I prefer the 'empty slot mod'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I've tried all sorts of switchable mods on Esquires over the years and found them all to pretty much useless, best for me is just a volume and a decent tone pot with a gradual taper (log?) and try a couple of different capacitors until I find one I like at each extreme of the pot...you can get undrilled Tele control plates with no slot, just need drilling to suit the pots, no empty slot...

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Control-Plates-s/1912.htm

open the link and scroll down for options....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom