Gibosn Les Paul Jr vs SG Jr?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13960
edited May 2019 in Guitar

SG Jr or LP Jr...does it just come down to preferences in neck profile, controls positioning, body shape?

Which do you prefer and why?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Having owned an original 1964 SG Junior and an original 1958 Single cut Junior, I can't really choose, I think both were really good guitars. The SG was definitely less subtle... more direct, raunchier. But it could've been due to several reasons.

The single cut allowed me to get almost acoustic sounds by lowering volume and tone.

I like both guitar shapes and the SG I had, had a fat neck and no neck dive. Both were light enough, but obviously the SG felt very light.

Upper fret access was better on the SG.

I think it largely comes down to preference in body shape. I don't know if you're talking about old guitar or new. If you're talking about new they can be made to serve pretty much similar musical needs.

If you're talking old, the SG was more rock, and the Singlecut I had was more refined. But could definitely get nasty turned up as well.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13960
    Thanks, I'm thinking about the new 2019 ones

• BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Les Paul all the way, I don't get the looks of the SG. Its the symmetry of it i think as i'm not a huge fan of the double cut LP juniors either.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited May 2019
    An SG puts your fretting hand into a different post code.You do get used to it, and wearing the guitar on your hip makes this less noticable.
    I think this is the key factor.....(do you like this or not).
    They both sound like a Gibson and I would happily work with either.

If you choose SG I would look hard for one that balances perfectly on a strap.

• Les Paul all the way, I don't get the looks of the SG. Its the symmetry of it i think as i'm not a huge fan of the double cut LP juniors either.
    I'm the opposite. I love the look of SGs. 
    I nearly sold my pink SG Jr last week, but common sense-  or more accurately my 7 year old daughter ,prevailed & I'm keeping it as it's too much fun to sell for what is get for it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Les Paul all the way, I don't get the looks of the SG. Its the symmetry of it i think as i'm not a huge fan of the double cut LP juniors either.
    I'm the opposite. I love the look of SGs. 
    I nearly sold my pink SG Jr last week, but common sense-  or more accurately my 7 year old daughter ,prevailed & I'm keeping it as it's too much fun to sell for what is get for it. 
    Your 7 year old daughter is wise!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yup.
    It's a powder pink SG Jr copy by Gould. I used it in a punk jam band. Now she wants it to learn on... She already likes Ramones, menzingers, McFly (& Katy Perry). 
    I'm giving serious thought to upgrading the P90... But almost any pickup I buy would be worth as much as the rest of the guitar! 

To return to the subject, I think they're both very versatile guitars. The biggest thing for me is making sure they have 50s wiring- that allows me to get those almost acoustic tones by dialling back the vol & tone. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13960
    edited May 2019

The biggest thing for me is making sure they have 50s wiring- that allows me to get those almost acoustic tones by dialling back the vol & tone. 
    It's my understanding that the new 2019 Jrs certainly have volume taper pots and 500K pots, not sure if they are wired 50s style wiring but that really is the simplest of changes.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    Yup.
    It's a powder pink SG Jr copy by Gould. I used it in a punk jam band. Now she wants it to learn on... She already likes Ramones, menzingers, McFly (& Katy Perry). 
    I'm giving serious thought to upgrading the P90... But almost any pickup I buy would be worth as much as the rest of the guitar! 

To return to the subject, I think they're both very versatile guitars. The biggest thing for me is making sure they have 50s wiring- that allows me to get those almost acoustic tones by dialling back the vol & tone. 
     @OilCityPickups has hinted at a forthcoming dogear or two in his clearance thread
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Yup.

If you're able to solder it yourself, you could keep the original pickup, put it back in if you ever intend to sell, and sell the P90 separately (or keep it).
  • roberty said:
    Yup.

@OilCityPickups has hinted at a forthcoming dogear or two in his clearance thread
    That would be awesome. I tried a similar guitar with a Jin-Go P90 in it. 
    The only way to describe the difference is that it was like going from 128kbps to lossless- ostensibly the same, but SO much better. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2914
    I prefer P90s in the slightly thicker LP shape, I've found a bridge P90 too thin and lacking sustain in my SG Standard.