Any love for Firebird pickups?

LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
The tone on this vid is sublime IMHO. It's got me gassing for some Firebird pups. I'm reliably informed that the modern day Gibbo ones are cack, so boutique is the way to go. Any other lovers of these pickups?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    tFB Trader
    I stuck some Gibson mini humbuckers in one of my builds.. I think it sounds fantastic (but then I would :) )..  They have their own thing going on and the sound they make really cuts through the mix

I also remember there were a few videos of Gary Moores son Jack where he was using a Firebird and getting some great sounds out of it

• robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    They sound great in neck position, fat tele sort of thing
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    Yep, love 'em. FWIW the JB Epi Firebird pickup is very very good, don't know if you can buy those separately.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    Rabs said:
    I stuck some Gibson mini humbuckers in one of my builds.. I think it sounds fantastic (but then I would :) )..  They have their own thing going on and the sound they make really cuts through the mix

I also remember there were a few videos of Gary Moores son Jack where he was using a Firebird and getting some great sounds out of it

Yep, that sounds great, @Rabs Are yours mini humbuckers or Firebird pickups though? I believe they often get confused - minis are more like humbuckers, whereas Firebirds are more like hot singles. Or so I'm told.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    Am I right in saying mini humbuckers have pole pieces, whereas Firebirds don't? Or is that over-simplistic?
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2965
    tFB Trader
    I like the modern ones for what they are, sound like less fat humbuckers, but they are pretty well different to the trad type ones.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    All I can say is the pickups in my new Firebird 2019 model are great. Not sure if they are ceramic or otherwise but pleasantly surprised. I’d say more humbucker than single coil overall but quite articulate.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    Lebarque said:
    Am I right in saying mini humbuckers have pole pieces, whereas Firebirds don't? Or is that over-simplistic?
    You're right there's two types. Firebird style pickups have two bars and Les Paul deluxe style are constructed like mini PAFs. Firebird style is more single coil-ish
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Love a firebird pickup. Especially the ones from mojo
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Rabs said:

Yep, that sounds great, @Rabs Are yours mini humbuckers or Firebird pickups though? I believe they often get confused - minis are more like humbuckers, whereas Firebirds are more like hot singles. Or so I'm told.
    Actually now I think about it you are right (its a few years ago now).. I now seem to remember that they came out of a 70s Tribute LP like this
    https://i.imgur.com/mHG5FMs.jpg

But to my ears, the LP type minis still have that cutting sound.. Even though yeah not quite as single coil like as the Firebird...  Still nice though..  Not a humbucker, P90 or single coil.. They really do have their own thing going on.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Didn't like them in my SG Special. It rocked when I stick a P90 in the bridge
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    Lebarque said:
    Mini humbuckers are exactly what the name suggests - conventionally constructed humbuckers but with narrower bobbins.

Vintage Firebird pickups have no adjustable polepiece screws. Each coil is wound around a bar magnet. 

Present day Gibson Firebird pickups are overwound. On some models, the output level is switchable between full and pseudo vintage.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3276
    Love mine, great midway between tele, p90 and paf. Sure these are Gibson’s modern take but they are great for cutting through.

The thing that changed it for me, was non-guitar playing punters coming up and saying ‘you’ve a new guitar haven’t you? It sounds great!’ -I won’t argue with them.