which 2x12 and 1x12 cabs are decent quality ?marshall ? Jet City ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    Paid €185 for my HB 2x12 V30 cab in 2011. Absolutely bonkers bargain when you think of it. Mind boggles at the shipping cost from Germany for a 28KG cab. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4177
    Paid €185 for my HB 2x12 V30 cab in 2011. Absolutely bonkers bargain when you think of it. Mind boggles at the shipping cost from Germany for a 28KG cab. 
    Yep.  I was thinking of buying a V30 anyway, currently £110 delivered from Thomann.  For an extra two quid I could have a nice ply box to keep it in :)

Are the HB cabs fitted with lower quality drivers?  I remember reading somewhere that Boogie hand-pick the ones they use or some such, but didn't know if that was just marketing guff.  Is there such a difference in the sound quality of a UK-made Celestion compared with its Chinese equivalent?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    Dunno. I've nothing to compare it to. But I've been super delighted with my cab since I bought it eight years ago. Sounds fabulous. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    edited May 2019
    randella said:

Are the HB cabs fitted with lower quality drivers?  I remember reading somewhere that Boogie hand-pick the ones they use or some such, but didn't know if that was just marketing guff.  Is there such a difference in the sound quality of a UK-made Celestion compared with its Chinese equivalent?
    Harley Benton cabs are fitted with standard Chinese V30s.

Mesa supposedly have their V30s made in the UK, and they do definitely sound different from standard V30s - as do Marshall's own-label ones. They're a slightly different spec, rather than different in quality.

Chinese-made and the old UK-made standard V30s sound the same though, after equivalent break-in. This was conclusively proved some years ago when someone found some old stock UK V30s and compared them to new Chinese ones before and after break-in for the same amount of time. I think the myth that they sound different is because people compared new Chinese ones to well-broken-in UK ones and found they sound different - they would, the V30 is one of the speakers most changed by long break-in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    ICBM said:
    randella said:

Harley Benton cabs are fitted with standard Chinese V30s.

Mesa supposedly have their V30s made in the UK, and they do definitely sound different from standard V30s - as do Marshall's own-label ones. They're a slightly different spec, rather than different in quality.

Chinese-made and the old UK-made standard V30s sound the same though, after equivalent break-in. This was conclusively proved some years ago when someone found some old stock UK V30s and compared them to new Chinese ones before and after break-in for the same amount of time. I think the myth that they sound different is because people compared new Chinese ones to well-broken-in UK ones and found they sound different - they would, the V30 is one of the speakers most changed by long break-in.
    This.

V30s change massively after break in.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• randellarandella Frets: 4177
    @Grumpyrocker ; and @ICBM - thanks very much for the info.  Always interesting. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26625
    edited May 2019
    The Jet City JCA24S is a brilliant cab. Not too heavy, very solid construction and the speakers are great (in a "modern" way). I experimented a lot with the speakers in mine - V30s, G12Ts, G12Hs, V-Type, and combinations - and always ended up coming back to the stock Eminence drivers.

Also, they're incredibly cheap for what you get.

I actually put an extra set of feet on mine, so I could use it vertical or horizontal. Much better approach, IMO :)
    <space for hire>
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The Harley Bentons are great for the money. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24343
    The Jet City JCA24S is a brilliant cab. Not too heavy, very solid construction and the speakers are great (in a "modern" way). I experimented a lot with the speakers in mine - V30s, G12Ts, G12Hs, V-Type, and combinations - and always ended up coming back to the stock Eminence drivers.

Also, they're incredibly cheap for what you get.

I actually put an extra set of feet on mine, so I could use it vertical or horizontal. Much better approach, IMO :)
    That's a bargain!

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    I'll be selling a wienbrock 1x12 cab in the next couple of weeks. brilliantly made and has a tayden true brit speaker in it.  pm if you're intereseted.