Another ebay member to avoid!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    Barnezy said:
    Absolutely it’s harassment. I blocked him this morning but the messages keep coming. 

Good shout, I’ve only spoken on on chat with eBay about this. I’ll request a call tomorrow. 
    The miscreant only needs to cause alarm and distress twice to be charged with harassment. Ebay, by not stopping the messages as per your request are actually aiding and abetting the harassment by facilitating the perpetrator.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Barnezy said:
    Just a few snippets from the 20+ messages he’s sent me in the past 24hrs. 

“I’ll be advising the ‘winning’ bidder of the situation at the end of your illegal auction - it’s only fair, don’t you agree?”

“If you had any sense you would follow my advice and correct this situation now thus saving yourself trouble and expense. 
    Bye for now - see you in court.
    Robert Alan”

“I’ll give you until tomorrow at noon to accept your obligations under our legally binding contract. I sincerely hope you do as I would hate for you to be financially punished with damages and my legal costs.”

“I have now consulted my genuine legal adviser (QC) who has confirmed he will be happy, considering our friendship, to do this for me ‘Pro bono’. You’d be best just to concede now. Otherwise he’ll be asking for damages and his normal fees to be paid.“

“That’s fine I’ll raise a complaint. I’ve also asked my friends to bid for me so it’s blocked until EBay sort it out.”

“I’m sure, like me, you wish to avoid any unnecessary unpleasantness. I am an OAP living on pension but I am a reasonable Christian man.”

Where do these people come from! 
    Nigeria?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    Barnezy said:
    Absolutely it’s harassment. I blocked him this morning but the messages keep coming. 

Good shout, I’ve only spoken on on chat with eBay about this. I’ll request a call tomorrow. 
    You can block his messages too.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15574
    the thought occurs to me that for the loss of one item you gain his home address...

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2201
    Spoke to eBay today and after they reviewed his messages they are going to do a deep review in to his activity and make a decision based on that, what level of action to take. But he did suggest it would be a warning and mark on the account at a minimum. They also advised that he is likely to have multiple accounts and uses this one to make purchases only and he is probsbly a flipper using these tactics to get things cheap. It starts off with "I'm and OAP" then "I'm a Christian" and then legal intimidation. 

eBay were quite clear to confirm that no agreement on there platform is legal bidding in anyway. It is purely a way to link potential buyers with sellers. Even if someone wins an auction, the seller and/or buyer have no obligation to complete the deal. 

Someone to stay clear of though, if you can!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    ICBM said:

Do not get into an argument with an idiot - they will drag you down to their level and then win by experience.

General life wisdom, not just ebay related.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    Barnezy said:
    Spoke to eBay today and after they reviewed his messages they are going to do a deep review in to his activity and make a decision based on that, what level of action to take. But he did suggest it would be a warning and mark on the account at a minimum. 
    Harsh measures indeed. :/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2201
    JezWynd said:
    Barnezy said:
    Spoke to eBay today and after they reviewed his messages they are going to do a deep review in to his activity and make a decision based on that, what level of action to take. But he did suggest it would be a warning and mark on the account at a minimum. 
    Harsh measures indeed. :/
    Reality is they dont care.

Tech giants generally are above the law and set their own standards of what's socially acceptable. Government aren't capable or inclined to regulate them adequately as they compete for their investment. Guess it's down to users to regulate through whether they use a platform or not. Following this, I probably won't sell anything on there again.... just not worth the aggro. 
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    The moral here is don't sell *anything* on Ebay unless you're able to tolerate communicating with total dickheads. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 621
    The moral here is don't sell *anything* on Ebay unless you're able to tolerate communicating with total dickheads. 

Communicating is a choice. Much easier to just ignore them.

As mentioned previously I have actually found that once you get a real person looking into this sort of thing eBay are pretty good at taking appropriate action. I just think there's an expectation gap where people expect eBay to police the internet for them and don't apply common sense as a result. There is always some element of risk involved and it's up to you to decide whether transacting on eBay is within your tolerance.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3914
    Sounds like blackmail to me. Best of luck with it.
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    I'll give you £102.50 :wink: lol

Ebay is full of loonies looking for a quick win

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    crunchman said:
    Simon_M said:
    Barnezy said:
    I recommend all add penguin767 to their eBay blocked list. 

Admin suggestion: Can we create a sticky feed where people can add dubious eBayers so we can all add them to our blocked lists? 
    I second this.
    These scammers keep changing their names.  There was another thread where the guy had had several usernames.  I don't think it would work.

That's on top of the other reasons given by digitalscream.
    It was me in the other thread revealing the dodgy ebayer’s various pseudonyms.

It’s not hard to find out information about these lunatics and it would only take a few people to to maintain such a list. No obligation for moderators to be those people.

Doesn’t hurt to try. If it doesn’t work out we are no worse off than now...

Personally I’m tired of lunatics, on eBay or otherwise.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    MLten80 said:

Ebay is full of loonies 

There.... That’s better
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @Barnezy Penguin767 is local to me here in Northern Ireland I believe. He'll frequently send me messages with ridiculous offers on items and once declined - like he's done to you - he'll lambast you with abuse. The guy is a nutter
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9826

Or indeed sell anything anywhere.

Or indeed do anything, anywhere
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542

Don’t do anything, EVER.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881

Thats retail work summed up too! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    Anchorboy said:
    @Barnezy Penguin767 is local to me here in Northern Ireland I believe. He'll frequently send me messages with ridiculous offers on items and once declined - like he's done to you - he'll lambast you with abuse. The guy is a nutter
    Or possibly; an extremely unpleasant person who hits on sellers in the hope of finding someone of a delicate nature who he can then bully into doing what he wants. With the available evidence I'm going with my version.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Simon_M said:

Don’t do anything, EVER.
    Now you tell me after I've gone and done something.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom