"Dan Smith Era" Fenders

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
Seen this on a few 1980's Fender guitars for sale recently, is it a new phrase or has it been used a while?

As an owner of one of the quintessential Dan Smith Era guitars - an Esprit - I'd like to think they are becoming more sought after, but I suspect it is just marketing guff. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    It's been used since the late 80s at least. Marketing guff, basically.

It started because when he started at Fender, Dan Smith tried to return the Strat in particular to something more like the classic pre-CBS model - smaller headstock, four-bolt neck, better contouring. Unfortunately, although they did have these things, they got all of them wrong in detail, and the guitars still used late-CBS hardware and finishing so it was not much more than a cosmetic exercise.

But for a while, before more accurate vintage reissues became easily available, they were some of the most sought-after Strats and dealers began to push up prices as a result. Originally the term *only* applied to those Strats. But dealers being dealers, they started to apply it to other models from the same era as well, to try to raise prices by association.

The Esprit is a nice guitar, but I don't think it will ever be very sought-after because it's just not a classic Fender.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom