What size tuners?

pottolompottolom Frets: 114
edited May 2019 in Making & Modding
Just bought a cheap Indonesian-built guitar with 6-in-a-row Kluson type tuners (vintage Fender style). Unfortunately they're the really cheap type, with plastic buttons. So far, they're the only obvious weak point and they've got to go.

Axecaster sell some nice looking Wilkinson tuners, but they come in a range of bushing sizes and I'm not sure which I need.

Can I just buy any and re-use my guitar's bushings? Or is it not quite as simple as that?

Ideally I don't really want to take the existing bushings out to measure as I suspect I'll chip bits of paint off the headstock doing that (it's a painted headstock).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    They will probably fit as most tuners on Indonesian guitars have 6mm posts.
    That's all you need to check - if the post is 6mm then you can re-use your existing bushes (assuming they are push-in type).
    I should point out that Wilkinson tuners have chrome plated plastic buttons, but you wouldn't know it from looking.
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    They will probably fit as most tuners on Indonesian guitars have 6mm posts.
    That's all you need to check - if the post is 6mm then you can re-use your existing bushes (assuming they are push-in type).
    I should point out that Wilkinson tuners have chrome plated plastic buttons, but you wouldn't know it from looking.
    Thanks! Yes, they look to be about 6mm (actually 5.9mm at the very top of the post with my callipers, it's difficult to measure the bottom as there are still strings on).

If that's the case re: the Wilkinson plastic buttons, perhaps your own Axecaster Kluson Style would be a better bet? I would prefer all-metal if possible.....
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    They also have plastic buttons. Most (if not all) of the budget Kluson style are plastic.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    There's a set of new genuine Fender ones on ebay at the moment for £31 + £4 post.  Worth a punt?